Picking a RealtorÂ®; you should interview several RealtorsÂ® before making a decision. Do not solely rely on a referral! Do the work yourself and interview several. Hereâ€™s a short check list of questions to ask & things to consider:
1) The paperwork involved in this process is extremely complicated, having stated this It is important that a Realtor be â€œpracticed at our tradeâ€ pick a RealtorÂ® which has completed 15+ transactions the previous year
2) Interview 3-5 full time RealtorsÂ® (very few part-time agents have the same skills as a person who works Real Estate on a full time basis)
3) Do not choose a RealtorÂ® who proclaims themselves as â€œEXPERTSâ€ because they have taken a seminar and have a designation on their business card. (CDPE, ABR, CRS and others) many of these expert classes require less than 16 hours of training and everyone who pays the fee passes. The experts are the ones who run the race not just buy the t-shirt.
4) Do a basic back ground check on your RealtorÂ® use a site like PIPL or just goggle their name, this usually turns up items such as lawsuits, bankruptcies or other items which you feel might interfere or conflict with a RealtorÂ® representing your best interest. Ps: this does not work for a John Smith
5) Once you have interviewed your potential RealtorsÂ® and if you are still unsure and want a â€œtrail runâ€ sign an exclusive buyers agency for 48 hours with the RealtorÂ® and explain if all goes well in the beginning then you will be willing to commit for 3-6 months.
6) Work with a RealtorÂ® which is local to your area. Meaning a 10-20 mile radius, they will know the schools, shopping and the growth potential of the area without having to go look it up!
7) Donâ€™t worry too much about a RealtorsÂ® personal advertising program, if they are a member of the local MLS & have a National Brand their personal attempts to enhance the marketing of your home is limited at best. If they state otherwise they are just blowing hot air. The internet takes care of 98% of the advertising needs.
8) Before you sign a contract wait one week & call your choice 2-3 times, see if they answer the phone and if they call back within 4 business hours. Believe it or not answering the phone is one of the most important items on this list.
Before you even start this process consider purchasing the book by Dave Ramsey â€œThe Total Money Makeoverâ€ this will provide valuable information in regard to having a successful financial life & make a prudent home purchase!