Using Trulia in Flagstaff>Question Details

Chris, Home Seller in Flagstaff, AZ

my home is listed for sale but it does not appear on searches, why?

Asked by Chris, Flagstaff, AZ Thu Sep 6, 2007

Answers

13
There can be a number of reasons why it doesn't appear. The first, and best reason, would be that you are searching before it has been indexed. Places like Trulia.com and REALTOR.COM don't have real time feeds to MLS, but rather pull data periodicaly, so it could be the case that they just haven't pulled it yet.

Another reason could be a simple data entry error. I was recently on a listing appointment and found that the previous lister had entered in this home's zip code incorrectly...for 6 months. Brutal mistake for sure, but it can happen.

And finally, it may not be in MLS yet. Personally, I email the listing to my client right when it's entered, asking them to check the accuracy of the listing. And as I extend that listing to various other websites, I keep sending it to my clients, so they can see how I market their home.

If your agent hasn't sent you the listing, but informs you that it is "in the system", ask them to send it to you.
Web Reference: http://www.teambelt.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 6, 2007
Hi, Chris ... Any of the Realogy companies - Century 21, Coldwell Banker, ERA - have direct feeds into Trulia. Even then, there's often a couple day delay.

Trulia doesn't have access to all of the local Multiple Listing Services. If your home is listed with someone else, they'll need to manually feed their information here if they choose to do so. Not all brokerages do - in fact, you'd be surprised how many think the Internet is a passing fad.

Check Realtor.Com ... unless your broker opted out of listing your home there, you should see it without a problem. And as always, check with your agent to see where they're marketing your home.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 6, 2007
Hi Chris: You need to contact your real estate professional immediately regarding this matter. Each area operates according to its association's respective by-laws. Your realtor will help you.
Best, Mark Palace
Founder/CEO Palace Properties International, Inc.
2065 Hwy A1A, Ste 1202,
Indian Harbour Beach, FL 32937.
tel: 321.704.9305
http://palacepropertiesonline.com/default.aspx
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 6, 2007
If you are listed w/ a Realtor, you can ask them about submitting your listing to Trulia. It is not automatically uploaded to Trulia as a result of being listed on MLS.

http://www.trulia.com/submit_listings/
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 6, 2007
Deborah Madey, Real Estate Pro in Red Bank, NJ
Hi Chris,

If you feel that your home should be listed on Trulia, and your agent has indicated that it should be, please use the link below to contact Customer Support, giving as much detail as possible and we will research this issue. There are a number of reasons why listings may not be displaying in search results.

Charlie Wheeler
Account Manager | Trulia
Chris;
It is so important to just talk to your agent and see what steps they have taken with your listing. I think it's always important to keep the lines of communication open and provide every opportunity for improvement. For instance, if there are not at least 6 pictures, many of the local sites won't "pick them up", so it's important to just be familiar with and meet the qualifiying criteria. Alot of agents aren't familiar with the new updated social media marketing, and what I like to call, the "digital handshake." That's why I selected to move to United Country Northern Arizona Realty who was awarded MicroSoft's Global Partner of the year to keep me up to date on the latest technology. It is changing and upgrading all the time...for example..remember 8 Track tapes....typewriters....etc?!

I can't tell you how many times I see an agent profiled on line at a company they haven't worked at in years!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 18, 2010
Chris,

First, ask your realtor, there are multiple reasons that you may not be finding your home. MLS is specific for the area to which the realtor subscribes. I am a member of the Northern Arizona MLS, have my listings ready to go once the papers are signed all that has to be done is click a button and the listing is available for viewing. A listing has to physically be posted on some websites such as Trulia, Realtor.com- without knowing the circumstances it is hard to say what happened. To be featured on most of these websites the realtor has to pay. I pay a monthly fee to have my listings featured and to be part of the local ads on Trulia. Although this is an expense to me I am able to not only get the houses I list out to the public, I can tell you how many people have viewed your home. It varys of course some months there are between 500-1000 and other months over 2000 clients have viewed my listings. Although the web is a great tool for advertising a home there is still the RealEstate books that are available around town and many realtors still prefer to use those books as a source of advertising.
Once again talk to your realtor most likely just some oversite and as we are all only human - things can happen which one can not account for in the world of real estate.

Andy Grannan
Russ Lyon Sotheby's International
928.699.1931
I am a Realtor in Flagstaff. I can tell you that Realtors must submit the listing information to the local MLS in a timely fashion. The local MLS has a direct and quick feed to Realtor.com. My listings ususally appear on Realtor.com within 24 hours. Your agent may have made a mistake on the address or price. I would suggest that you ask your real estate agent to show you your home's listing on MLS and Realtor.com. Ask your agent to email you links to these sites so you can check things out for yourself. You might also want to visit some of the internet sites like Realtor.com to see how your home's listing compares to other homes on the market. Real estate is a product, and like all other products it needs the RIGHT marketing plan to sell it for the best price. Over 80% of home buyers use the internet when they are looking to purchase a home, so the right online marketing is extremely important! In general, I suggest that anyone who is thinking of selling a home in today’s real estate market should compare the marketing skills of different real estate agents by viewing some of their active listings on the local MLS, on Realtor.com, and other sites. Then select an agent who has the marketing skills, time and motivation to get the job done.
I hate to say it, but sometimes agents will hold listings off websites hoping to sell it themselves. This is an old, out-dated practice, but make sure your agent isn't one of those back in the 1980s. Agents have access to different sites. Just because it is on MLS doesn't mean it will be featured on Trulia, Realtor.com (though it may be there, just not as visible as a featured listing), or be on Yahoo, MSN, or lots of other sites. RE/MAX.com is actually the most searched site after Realtor.com, so you have an advantage there with a RE/MAX agent. Make sure the pictures are good (and that there are pictures), a good description, a virtual tour -- anything to keep the people who see the listing interested in looking at it for more time.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 9, 2007
Ask your realtor. I once had a client who was very upset that I told her the house would be on the Multiple Listing Service and "it wasn't there". It turns out they were looking on the wrong MLS website.
Chris,

Ask your Realtor where they are placing your listing. We have to let our clients know that within 48 Hours they will show up on the major blisting services but other sites can take up to one week this is 30+ sites but we do not control the feed time. How long have you been listed??
Web Reference: http://www.TeamRenton.com
In our area when a property is submitted to the MLS it does get populated to several websites including realtor.com. It can take up to 5 days for it to show up. I would ask your Realtor to check into this for you.
Pam Winterba…, Real Estate Pro in San Ramon, CA
Hi Chris:

There are many MLS sites and Internet sites, but I am assuming you are talking about Trulia not showing your listing.

Listings on Trulia are fed through Brokerage Feeds. So, your Realtor should be with a brokerage which are signed up with Trulia. You might want to check with your Realtor on that. Also, it sometimes takes a day or two before a listing will show up on the list, so if it's a new listing, you might want to come back and check again.

Sylvia
Sylvia Barry,…, Real Estate Pro in Marin County, CA