Using Trulia in Yorktown>Question Details

Penre,  in Yorktown, VA

Why is it that trulia lets Simon Homes SPAM this site? It's ridiculous. Brian Simon doesn't have a single listing on the Peninsula in

Asked by Penre, Yorktown, VA Thu Jan 13, 2011

REIN MLS. 100's of listings, yet not a single actual listing to sell... jeez. What if all agents just made up crap and threw it up. He has ads in some areas where there aren't even lots available to purchase. This really shouldn't be allowed. Do buyer's overlook this and still use this site?

Answers

6
Brian - I took a look at your website, and it appears as if you are claiming to have 36 listings, when in fact you have 36 various floorplans available to build on some lot... somewhere!
Correct me if I am wrong, but it doesn't appear as though you have any subdivsion or lots ready to build on - only the offer of potential models/plans to use on someone else's lot.

Isn't that a bit misleading?

I see no reason why a builder can't advertise their services, but to claim 36 listings and then the small print says the photos are for 'illustrative purposes" only seems like a misrepresentation to me.

Just my opinion...but..........
It's not a "listing" if it doesn't exist.
Floorplans aren't listings.

Not sure how trulia views this.
Maybe we will soon find out.
Brian,

In my opinion what you are doing is unethical (possibly bait and switch and illegal) and if you were a REALTOR, I'd already have you in front of the board. Go to the main search page and type in 23606... It's an old area of Newport News where lots aren't often available and when they are they are very expensive.

You feature your non-existent homes in 23606 (I think you feature them everywhere, because it's similar no matter what zipcode). This makes 13 of 15 listings on the first page of the search your fake listings. If someone calls you up to get a new house in 23606 for $356,900 (http://www.trulia.com/property/3020683771--Simon-Elite-2700-…), you can't possibly deliver anything close to that because the cheapest lot is $189,900. So let's subtract that lot price from your ad price and we're left with $167,000... Are you telling me you can build a brick front 2,700 sqft. home for $61.86 a sqft.?

No, you can't, so how is that not misleading? Oh wait, because you have this line if they click further in the description, "Also, most advertising includes estimated lot price, but this home price may not include land cost as it may be a build on your lot custom home program. Lots are not always available in all subdivisions for these open listings"... your tacticts are deplorable and I really don't understand how Trulia doesn't see this as decreasing the validity of the site. (it has to mess with their valuation algorithm as well)

Want to not spam or mislead Brian? Run banner ads and side ads for new construction, build on your lot... and use realistic prices. Don't adveritse like you have ready made houses for sale.
My name is Brian Simon and I do not list new homes, I build new homes. I'm sorry if you misunderstood my ads. I have majority stake in a large building company. I serve specific clients and my clients are very happy with our build-on-your-lot or ours program. I would be happy to provide testimonies or phone numbers of clients that we build for all around the area. I have a right to make potential clients aware of the service my building company can provide. I am a member of REIN MLS, but I am not an active agent because I am very involved in building homes.
Again, I apologize that my ads were misunderstood and considered SPAM. That is NOT my intention.
Thanks Emily, I might flag one or two, but I have better things to do than police Trulia. By the nature of new construction the home likely doesn't exist yet... that said, I think you mean homes that have no lot to be built on... at least if I had a site that would be my criteria. All of his new construction are nothing more than an idea without a lot.

Penre
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jan 14, 2011
Hi Penre,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I've alerted our data team about this and they are investigating the issue.

While we do allow for the submission of new construction listings that are not posted in the MLS, we don't permit listing submissions for homes that don't exist. If you encounter any specific listings that you believe fall under the latter description, please use the flag icon under the listing photos to report the listing to us.

Emily Erekuff
Community Moderator
Penre -

There is a button you can press when viewing these ads that will notify Trulia that the add is inappropriate or Spam.

If you bring it to Trulia's attention - they often intervene.

Gerry Dunn
Associate Broker
Serving Maryland, D.C. and Northern Virginia
703-216-9100