Using Trulia in SoMa>Question Details

Lou, Home Buyer in San Francisco, CA

Why are the questions on this site so old? Like 2-5 years old. Not much good..

Asked by Lou, San Francisco, CA Sun Jul 3, 2011

Answers

7
I agree with several other RE professionals about the aging of some of the Q/A's. Many should be deleted. However, I don't believe that an agent responding to a Question outside his/her geographical sphere of influence is a bad thing in any way whatsoever. In many instances I go out of my way to respond to questions just to offer up a completely unbiased non self-serving answer or opinion.

I believe that this should be an open and objective forum for professionals, investors, buyers and sellers alike to seek objective and intelligent information and feedback from. I've often answered questions all over the country if I felt I could offer up something that could be of use to the person asking the question.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 6, 2011
You are correct, the "Market Conditions" section of "SoMa" isn't terribly active - as first the "Market Conditions" section of ANY location within Trulia doesn't get much traffic, and #2 you are talking about a very niche neighborhood in San Francisco, and while it's a gentrifying area with increasing demand, not everyone has questions about the market conditions there.

However you can put an end to this... you, Lou, can do it.

How?

By asking a question about the local market conditions in SoMa, if you are actually interested that is.

Go Giants!!!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 3, 2011
When Trulia hit the scene the market was hot hot hot. Everyone was talking real estate and there were so many questions. Equity was rising double digits year after year and even with the dot bomb of 2000 housing in the Bay Area was still rising fantastically.
Trulia's business plan origanlly was to aggregate the brokerage's listings and "mash up" maping technology with the listings. Part of the genius was the "Voices" section. It provided constantly current and relevant content which kept the search engines attracted.
Since the financial collapse the quantity of the questions has dropped off significantly on this forum and the heated debates over bubble or no bubble have died.
Jed Lane; Fog…, Real Estate Pro in San Francisco, CA
Even though there are 700K professionals on Trulia, many questions are left with incomplete answers. As you see already on your question, some agents choose to use the Q&A forum for useless self-promotion. Other agents operate under misguided incentives created by Trulia and just toss out generic responses to questions which are far outside their expertise, whether by domain or geography. It's my belief that many users have been turned off by the Q&A model, even though it's a free service. So, the old questions keep getting recirculated and re-answered even after floating for years on Trulia.
Web Reference: http://www.archershomes.com
Dear Lou,

It is easy for any realtor to give you an update on conditions in SOMA for many years past. Trulia should do some up-dating, but if they do not, a realtor can!

Cheers,

Sally
I agree with Oggi, some changes should be made to improve Trulia as a whole. What happens is agents find these old questions and want to answer them to gain credit and credibility.

I also think it would be better if only local agents answered the questions in their respective areas instead of agents out of the area or in different States.

Unless it's a common sense question and answer, how can I provide good information to buyer and sellers in N.Y. Miami, or Texas?

Thanks Lou, enjoy the holiday weekend.

Tap
Lou

There are lots of old questions but many stay relevant and the replies supply a chain of helpful information. What I would like to see changed to improve the system is an expiration date for answering. Sometimes I see people answering a questions which is years old! I believe questions should have a 30-day time period for members to post a reply. Once a question expires, it should remain on the site for people to reference. If the questioner still needs help, they can ask their question again.
Web Reference: http://www.oggikashi.com/