Using Trulia in 07039>Question Details

Ontheside2005, Home Buyer in Glen Ridge, NJ

Trulia not responding to request to take down pictures of a house I recently purchased

Asked by Ontheside2005, Glen Ridge, NJ Fri Sep 13, 2013

I've emailed them on three occasions with no response. Any suggestions about how to get them to respond to my request due to privacy concerns?

Answers

8
Hello Ontheside2005,

Nathan from Trulia here. I will private message you in regards to removing the photos from your home listing. If you have further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact our Customer Service Team at 1-888-466-3501 or customerservice@trulia.com

Thank You!
Ontheside,
Congratulatons! You have stumbled upon a reality that truly needs to be addressed. This issue is created because sellers and real estate professionals have all bought into the false belief that a home must appear "EVERYWHERE" in order to be sold. Because so many actually believe this fairy tale, they do not explain, or make available to the home seller, that they should not advertise their home on the 'internet." When I say internet....i specificly mean...AGGREGATE WEBSITES! (Trulia and Zillow plus hunders we do not know)
-
The local MLS is the resouce all qualified buyers use, The MLS does have reciprositiy agreements with a wide range of real estate webisites that will promote the home for sale. THESE websites have contractuallly agreed to keep the data accurate and current and will not host the data meaning when it is removed from the MLS it also disappears from the secondary sites also.
-
Even if the images of your home were removed from Trulia...it will live FOREVER in the hundreds if not thousands, of other websites who leverage data stolen from real estate professionals.
-
What you should do:
Contact your attorney.
Attorney contact Trulia.
Have the image of your home BLURRED on Google maps. See my blog for details.
-
Note: many homes appear on TRULIA that are not for sale but display the Goolge maps image deceiving the public into thinking it is for sale.
-
Tell everyone you know, "DO NOT ADVERTISE YOUR HOME ON THE INTERNET!"
Real, qualified buyers are working with a real estate professional and are using the MLS.
-
Take real estate professionals to task regarding this neglect.
-
Real qualified buyers rely on the MLS. Aggregate websites are a liability, as you have found out.
-
PS: Real Estate Brokers are increasingly choosing to establish as policy, the prohibiition of allowing homes to be syndicated to aggregate websites. These brokers are taking their repsonsibilities to the home buyer and seller SERIOUSLY!

Best of success,
Annette Lawrence, Broker/Associate
Remax Realtec Group
Palm Harbor, FL
727.420.4041
http://RealEstateMadeEZ.us
I sell just as many homes off the MLS as on the MLS. Trulia, Zillow, Homes.com are the top 3 websites buyers go to. I once was thinking like you and now that I have changed have double my income and sold more homes this year than any other over 10 years.
If you want to stay in business I advice to get with times.
Best Wishes
Flag Sat Sep 14, 2013
Annette,

What century are you living in that you would advise any seller NOT to have their home on the internet especially on the real estate websites like Trulia, Zillow and Realtor.com?? Statistics show that over 95% of buyers start their search on the internet, and homes with more photos sell faster than those that have few or none. Even if the potential buyer doesn't buy the house they initially contact an agent about, the internet does help other homes sell, so technically an internet buyer may call on someone elses home but eventually buy yours !!! That's when the agent and the MLS come into play.

As for your argument that the MLS is the only way to go, well I hate to tell you but the MLS is accessible to the public, not just licensed agents, for those "qualified buyers" and even just "lookers" to peruse any and all the homes they want to. It also happens to be on the internet so just about anyone who logs into the MLS public sites can see the homes as easily as if they looked at it on Trulia.

The dowsnide of 21st century technology is that just about anyone can access anything that is public information via the internet, so even if the home was never advertised on sites like Trulia, the information is there for anyone to see.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Sep 13, 2013
I agree with Mary Petti below. People want to see everything before they buy a house and then all of a sudden it is a "privacy" concern. Once it is out there, probably nothing that can be done. The house sale is now public record.

But, you can contact the listing agent and it may be possible for that person to take them off Trulia, delete them from the MLS website and a few others, but I am thinking that it is not going to be a total blackout of the pictures.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Sep 13, 2013
Ontheside,

Once the home was listed, the photos were all over the internet, and you and potentially thousands of other potential buyers were able to view the interior photos. Why was that OK for you as a buyer to look at the sellers home, but now that you own it, it is no longer Ok for others to see the interior photos?

That being said, unfortunately you may have to try to contact the original listing agent and see if he/she can delete the listing from Trulia especially if the listing agent manually uploaded the photos.

However, you must also know that once the house sold, the information becomes public record, and , the information will be on the internet for a long time as a "sold" comparative.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Sep 13, 2013
Ontheside,
Make sure you read the article in CNN Money Magazine, Oct (Ann Lee) regarding this topic.
Please let us know if you are convinced the guidance and suggestions of my peers give you comfort.
-
Home sellers DO have a choice.

Best of success,
Annette Lawrence, Remax Realtec Group
Palm Harbor, FL
727.420.4041
http://RealEstateMadeEZ.com
Trulia won't respond, although it would be nice if they did just for clarification.

As mentioned below, only the listing agent can edit the listing, especially if he or she manually changed/edited the listing at some point when it was active.
Normally, the listing comes down once the house is sold and reported as "closed" on the MLS.

If this chain of command was broken due to the agent's editing of the listing, he or she is the only person who can deal with this now.

Call and ask to have this done.
Try contacting the listing agent. She or he will be able to remove it for you.
Dan Weinheimer