Using Trulia in Hampton>Question Details

Daryl Chambe…, Real Estate Pro in Laguna Niguel, CA

There seems to be an epidemic of listings being left on Trulia after they are under contract or sold now that things have become busy.

Asked by Daryl Chambers, Laguna Niguel, CA Sat Aug 18, 2012

I like to use Trulia for sourcing because it capture both boards and everybody syndicates. Any idea of the percentage of bad listings AND any suggestion on what can be done. Launch a campaign to remind each other?

Answers

4
Well, not everybody syndicates. No idea of how many listings are bad. Why do you care about the percentage. Trulia, like other websites, is just a tool. I believe Realtor.com has more credibility when it comes to what's actually active on the various MLS boards.

As a Broker, I wouldn't use any "adveristing" website to enhance my market knowledge. I would either subscribe to the boards I elect to sell in, or partner with another agent in the neighboring boards.

Have an amazing day!
Web Reference: http://www.terrivellios.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Aug 18, 2012
the reason that I use Trulia as snapshot tool is because I don't have to swith websites or browser windows to see everything that I need to see for an initial evaluation. I am sourcing and buying dozens of homes a month which are made into investment properties. Other than their AVM which I don't use their data is provided by the same data providers as the boards and they have this one tool that I just love with is the crime map overlays. The crime data there is actual up to date arrest records from the target property out instead of aggregated end of the years stats for a whole city. It is faster & acurate. But if I have to dig deeper in county records then I like CoreLogic.
So the answer to your question of why do I care? Because I don't like wasting time bidding on properties that are not available just because some agent didn't think it was important to update their information to the public
Flag Sat Aug 18, 2012
Hi Daryl,

Thank you for creating this discussion. I wanted to correct a few wrong answers about where listing data on Trulia comes from. Though in some cases we do receive data directly from the MLS, that's not true in all cases. We also receive many listings directly from brokers, agents, and franchises as well as from third party listing websites.

We are aware that data accuracy on the web is a problem and are making great strides to create programs that help clean it up. Below is a link that explains how we are working to enhance the data accuracy of listings on the web.

You and others on our site can also help this cause by alerting us about any inaccurate listings you find on our site. When you encounter such a listing, please click on the 'More' tab located under the property photos and select the 'Report an error' link to let us know about the problem with that particular listing. This report will be sent directly to our Customer Service team so they can investigate and make the necessary corrections, or remove the listing from our site entirely.

Thank you for your concern and for your help!

Emily
ah ha!
I knew that if I started this discussion, an insider would show up to let me know what is being done. Just so you know the initial question was not directed at Trulia. I am aware that Trulia receives listing and none listing data from various sources. The focal point was really directed at the person representing the property. They are the ones who have the up-to-the-minute information on the status of a property. Whether you are an individule interested in buying one property or like myself sending 100's of bids in multiple markets, you should not have your energy wasted on deals that don't exist.
It is good to know that Trulia is making attempts to create a solution for us in spite of those who don't do their job.
Thank you
Flag Mon Aug 20, 2012
Thank you for your question Mr. Chambers:

As the others have pointed out, that information on those websites for REALTORS listings is taken from The Multiple Listing Service.

Are the listiongs that you are talking about REALTOR's listings or listings by for sale by owners?

If the properties that you are seeing not updated are REALTORs listings, then there may be a problem with the update from the Multiple Listing Service to the websites that you are looking at.

REALTORS update their listings on the Multiple Listing service. However there are a number of websites who take their information from the Multiple Listing Service. Those websites need to use the information they receive from The Multiple Listing Service to update their websites.

I know that some people say that we as REALTORS should play private detective and track down the 6 or 8 or more major web sites that pull their data from The Multiple Listing Service and go into each one of those sites manually, and update each one of those sites ourselves.

However many of those web sites will not even let us individually go into those sites to correct the information on our own listings. If that website does not update from The Information that they receive from The Multiple Listing Service, we have no way to even correct that information ouselves.

This is actually probably a good thing because the hackers out there would just use that as an opportunity to hack into the website and change the information in whatever manner they wanted to do so.

Once these websites take our listing information from the Multiple Listing Service, that information is out of our control. The website that took our information needs to keep their website updated with the new information that they receive from The Multiple Listing Service.

The best solution is that if these websites will not keep the Multiple Listing information updated , then they should lose the right to pull information from The Multiple Listing Service.

If the out of date listings are from For Sale by Owners, one of the best solution is for those websites to have the listing expire every 7 days, like they do on craigslist so that you do not have out of date information on the web site.

Charles Butterfield MBA
Real Estate Broker/REALTOR
American Realty
Cell Phone: (408)509-6218
Fax: (408)269-3597
Email Address: charlesbutterfieldbkr@yahoo.com
DRE#00901872
Like other real estate websites, Trulia pulls its data from the local MLS. Until the MLS listing is updated, Trulia will not be either.

Rodney Mason, NMLS #151088
Sr Loan Officer
Prospect Mortgage
825 Juniper St NE, Atlanta, GA 30308
Office: (404) 591-2453
rodney.mason@prospectmtg.com
Apply Online at http://www.rodneymason.com
Licensed in Alabama & Georgia

Prospect Mortgage offers a full selection of mortgage programs including:
Conventional | FHA | FHA 580-639 FICO | FHA 203K Renovation (Streamline & Consultant) | HomePath® | HomePath® Renovation | HomeStyle® Renovation | VA | USDA | GA Dream | Jumbo Financing