Question Details

Kevin Olson…, Real Estate Pro in Colorado Springs, CO

Local Ads... Clicks don't matter?

Asked by Kevin Olson & Jessica Laude, Colorado Springs, CO Fri Sep 30, 2011

Just got off the phone from an account manager on Trulia (wanting me to sign up for a longer time) and expressed frustration over so few clicks. It seems as though I should be thrilled with the views, and not focusing so much on clicks. Same ad on Zillow gets me not just views and clicks, but leads.

Trulia, as soon as you explain how a view generates more business than a click does I'm on board to spend money. I understand exposure, but to bypass focusing on leads sort of shoots your instant leads benefit in the foot, doesn't it?

Answers

5
Kevin,
Just recently a Trulia was extolling the virtues of 'HITS' as a meaningful measure of success! There is a whole lot of nonsense out there in the internet marketing business.

What is important in any attempt at lead generation is understanding where the responsibility of the aggregate source end and the agents begins. An agent is capable of rendering ANY and ALL lead sources ineffective based on their IDWDT mentality.

I've been served the very best wine and when I see lip stick on the rim that is not mine...the wine no longer matters. All the work and effort of making the wine, bottling the wine, delivering the wine, setting up the restaurant, buying the crystal, hiring the entertainment, placing pretty people on staff, falls flat at the very last minute. The real estate agent can be the smudge that will sabotage any hope of success. Maybe judging success only by the dollars generated is overlooking a truly important aspect of ones business.

If you know how to write good ad copy, then counting click throughs is key. After the click,,the reality is, "It's all up to you," not the aggregate lead generator. The clicks however, is the sole responsibility of the company promising the moon.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 2, 2011
As they say, the proof is in the pudding. I don't focus on clicks and views but rather on the business that comes from my Trulia exposure and determine the ROI. And, I have to say I am VERY pleased with the return.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 1, 2011
I consider views and clicks as Internet noise that is intermediate to the intended purpose of advertising - making the phone ring or making the email inbox full. Even the phone and email are not the end game - the end game is closing transactions. In viewing the value of Trulia or any other lead source, I look at $X invested to generate $N of gross revenue. If the views and clicks produce leads that don't close, then the number of view and clicks becomes immaterial. Although I'm considering running another Trulia campaign, using lessons learned during my last one, online advertising still provides the lowest rate of return of all my marketing channels. As most of the guys and gals hanging out at Peet's Coffee on Saturday morning tell me (where all the real industry networking goes on in my town), the highest rate of return still comes from community involvement activities. But there are agents who get most of their business from the Internet, we're all different....
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 1, 2011
Judi, please let us know the formula for calculating ROI when the return isn't coming from clicks or leads. And don't tell me you told a seller "I'm on Trulia" and they said "We'll go with you."

You do realize that you stated you don't pay attention to views and yet your focus is on ROI from exposure? That sounds credible and makes perfect business sense.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 1, 2011
If you like to get some lead from trulia you better be a pro.How do I know I am not a subscriber of pro so I do not get lead.Thank you.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 1, 2011