Claire Aschw…, Renter in San Francisco, CA

I think this website is a disgrace I have contacted at least 5properties and 3have already tried to fraud me and my husband! NOT HAPPY

Asked by Claire Aschwanden, San Francisco, CA Sun May 13, 2012

Answers

9
Hi Claire,

I'm really sorry that you have had a bad experience with our rental efforts, but I do want to thank you for bringing it to our attention, as now we can work on setting it right for you.

After investigating the listings you gave us, we have found that none of them were listed through Trulia, but were syndicated to us through Postlets. We have already taken these listings down and will be following up on how these fraudulent listings got onto our site in the first place, and how we can speed up our response time to you.

Again thanks for bringing this to our attention. The quality of our listings can only get better as you, the community helps us to spot problems and suggest improvements. We listen because we want you to have the best experience, and because we're renters too!

If you have any more questions or comments Claire, please feel free to reach out to me directly at andrew@trulia.com

Andrew
Community Manager, Trulia Voices
Websites are just websites. Each has their pluses and minuses. What you are referring to are dishonest and unethical behavior by individuals.

Although the real estate industry has its share of 'crap,' I would say that as with any field, not very one is dishonest.

I agree that the best way to go is hire yourself a buyer's agent and stick to MLS-based websites.
Your best bet is to work with 1 agent who can assist you with your search., Use mls searches to avoid fraudsters who are plastering sites as of late.
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
Rentals are tricky and there are a lot of scams out there too. Besides working with an agent, try contacting a property management company as well.

Best.

Tap
While we completely agree buyers should get their own agents to help them with a purchase, since this falls under the "Rentals" category it is important to point out that there are many rental scams going on right now in San Francisco and other cities. For Claire and other potential renters: Do not send money to *anyone* through the mail. The most common rental scam these days involves a person pulling pictures of a vacant home (often for sale) off the internet. These people will tell you they are "out of town" and will offer the rental at a price that is often too good to be true. They will ask you to send a "deposit" or the first month's rent to secure the property. They will even tell you that you can look in the windows. Regardless, DO NOT send money to anyone through the mail as a "deposit." Hope that helps!
Web Reference: http://www.keyserhomes.com
or the company that actually lists the property should go and take it's own pictures or even check out it's legit before advertising their fraud on their website!
Flag Wed May 16, 2012
Claire,

I'm sorry to hear that you've experienced problems looking for a home to rent. As a few of my colleagues have mentioned below, talking with an agent and working with someone you're comfortable with is head and shoulders easier and more productive than trying to go it alone.

I don't handle that many rentals, but I do know someone who specializes in rentals and I'd be happy to put you in contact with them. Feel free to contact me and I'll be happy to set this up.

Cheers,

Toby

Toby Jackson
Better Homes & Gardens/Mason-McDuffie Real Estate
2200 Union Street
San Francisco, CA 94123
Mobile: 415-627-8200
Office: 415-921-0113
http://www.bhghome.com/JacksonHomes
DRE#01798961
Thank You Toby,

That would be great. My email address is claire.aschwanden@yahoo.com

Many Thanks,

Claire
Flag Wed May 16, 2012
Dear Mr and Mrs Aschwaden, Fraud is a big problem on the internet in general. I hate it too. If you would like to purchase or sell a home please feel free to contact me at 415 695-0254.
I agree with Tom.

Working with an agent that works for you is definitely the way to go. They will have your best interest in mind and be able to steer you in the right direction in terms of purchases and/or rentals

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me!

Davey Cetina
Buyer’s Specialist | DRE# 01887446

Better Homes and Gardens Real Estate
2095 Rose St, Ste 100 | Berkeley, CA 94709
[t] 510.517.7238 | [f] 510.780.2110
david.cetina@bhghome.com
Clair

do you have a buyer’s agent? I would recommend that Find a BUYERS agent / Realtor to work FOR YOU.

Your Realtor will have your best interests in mind and again, works for YOU.

Good Luck
Thank You Tom,

We aren't buying we are looking for a place to rent whilst my husband is in training for San Fran PD.

It's absolutely disgraceful that people feel the need to steel hard earned money from normal people.

All we want is a 1bd apartment/ house in San Fran for a year! I thought many adds on here were to good to be true and they truly are!

Thank you again,

Claire
Flag Wed May 16, 2012