J. Mario Pre…, Real Estate Pro in San Francisco, CA

I'm relatively new to using the internet as a starting point to a house-hunt, what can you tell me about this?

Asked by J. Mario Preza, CRB, CDPE, San Francisco, CA Mon Aug 23, 2010

This is the type of question I get asked quite frequently, and since I am a proponent to open communications and fair dealings with the public at large, I invite all who can, to seek information from sites like Trulia because, on the surface it is unbiased and impartial, but with an eye for giving the consumer the benefits of insights without having to make any hasty commitments with someone that doesn't quite deliver on these tenets; and believe me, there are hundred of those "fly-by-night" so-called agents out there. However, how does a consumer with limited resources and no ready access to the internet start using Trulia as a starting point in their house-hunt? Or, how can they be assured to be dealing with an licensee who align themselves with similar tenets?

Answers

6
I tell clients to go to REALTOR.com because they show only the active listings. Once the listing status is changed (hopefully the agents are prompt with their updates), if it's no longer active, it disappears from REALTOR.com. If a property comes back on market, or if the price is changed, that shows up too.

I don't like to refer them to any other site because:
1. Sometimes the agents don't update the status
2. Many sites are affiliated with other realty offices (such as Redfin, Ziprealty)....and I prefer to keep my clients.

My lender from Bank of America signed me up for Home Buyer Marketing Scouting Report http://www.hbm1.com/. When buyers log in, they can get all kinds of good info --- and the "frame" shows my name as the agent, and my BOA rep as the lender.

See sample "splash" report
http://www.greatrealestate.com/MapSearch.aspx?ID=CF1EB7ADAB2…
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 23, 2010
I would agree that the SFAR MLS, or whatever local MLS they may be searching in, is the best source for properties for sale in their respective areas. Agents and Brokers are compelled to keep these listings up to date and accurate, whereas other sites, including Trulia, may not be.

We've had clients who came up with all kinds of weird websites - people who are serious use the MLS.

More importantly however is to have a knowledgeable, reputable, and experienced agent/broker helping frame their search with regards to that particular client's timelines, needs, and goals.

Lance King/Owner-Managing Broker
lance@fixedrateproperties.com
415.722.5549
DRE# 01384425
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 23, 2010
Hello J Mario Preza,
If a consumer is looking for an agent by way of Trulia, which isn't a bad idea at all, I would say, look at our resumes on Trulia, and look for activity on Trulia--what is the knowledge level of the agent you are looking at. Look at their profile and what they say, but I think the Q & A and Blogs would give any potential consumer a pretty accurate picture of committment to real estate.

I have sold homes to consumers who were reading my answers on Trulia and hired me specifically because of the quality of answers and blogs I have posted on this site. Trulia is a great way to evaluate a realtor with all the information we put here. In my case, my buyers have been pleased with my services and we have become friends.

Myke Triebold, GRI, LMC
850-305-6256
MykeSaysSold@aol.com
http://www.DestinHomeRealtor.com
Web Reference: http://www.MykeTriebold.com
As a newbie to the internet, it may be beneficial to contact a real estate professional and make arrangements for them to email you property samples that match your personal search criteria.

Best wishes with your search,

I teach my clients to use the San Francisco MLS Public Access. It is the MOST ACCURATE information and allows you to easily qualify what they might be interested in.

It keeps me on the same page with them. As for people who start, they seem to start by searching willy-nilly with any and every site they can find.

It doesn't always produce the best results which is why once I get a buyer who is ready to work with me. I condition them to search the MLS and nothing else.

I don't know if that answers everything in the way you're looking, but its my thought on the topic.

Enjoy the sunshine!!!!
Mario,

What I found best is to meet with the new homebuyers and use my computer, together with theirs, to surf the net in search of properties and information. As they mirror my search tips, they become familiar and at the same time, create a browsing history on their computer. They bookmark sites they find useful and have all their questions answered in real time. This usually puts them on the right path.

I hope you find my method useful.

Oggi Kashi,
Broker Associate - DRE 1844627
Paragon Real Estate Group | 1160 Battery St | San Francisco, CA 94111
Web Reference: http://www.oggikashi.com/