Using Trulia in Van Buren>Question Details

Michelle, Renter in Van Buren, AR

I just had someone with a listing on this site ask me to wire the deposit western union. I don't think that sounds right. Is that a concern?

Asked by Michelle, Van Buren, AR Sat Aug 13, 2011

Questonable integrity of a listing

Answers

7
Hi Michelle,

As others have already said, a request to wire money is absolutely a sign that the listing in question may be a scam.

Please check out the link below to make sure you're aware of the red flags that may signal a scam, and if you suspect that you've encountered on our site, please use the 'Report error' link to tell us about it.

Emily Erekuff
Community Moderator
Yes, it is a VERY BIG concern. This happening on Craig's list quite often and it is usually a front for someone in Nigeria who has no interest in the house your are trying to rent. If you can get more information before they get scared off then turn it over to your local authorities.
Do not do it. I was on floor one day when someone did that to another agents listing at our office. They found the listing, put it on Craigs list at a rental rate almost too good to be true, then they looked up the owners name in public records and when people contacted him he claimed to be the owner and was out of the country on business. he said..."Wire me the money and I will mail you the key." Knowing the owner. I knew that wasn't true. it is a scam.

Contact me if you are looking to buy. I may even know of a few rentals here in the area. Good luck!
As Suzanne stated......NEVER EVER!

Try to get name, numbers and physical location. Call them back to confirm number.
Verify then call authorities. The attorney general at least.
HUGE concern! This is one of the oldest tricks in the book and a common scan these days. It happens on Craigs List too! Do not EVER wire money to anyone you find on line! EVER!
Michelle did you view the interior of the home. Have you seen the lease terms and conditions. Have you verified the ownership of the property? There are a lot of scams out there. If someone wants you to send a deposit before you view the home tell them to send you the keys and if you like the home you proceed from there.
Hi, This is most likely a scam, unfortunately it's a rather common one today. Rule #1 never complete a transaction withpout meeting the landlord and seeing the property. I had this happen to one of myu listings, a scammer took the Craigslist ad and created their own rental ad. They claimed they got transferred overseas for work, etc etc.

Christopher Pagli
Licensed Associate Broker
Accredited Buyer Representative
GREEN Designated Agent
William Raveis Legends Realty Group
914.406.9023