Question Details

Dailar Porter, Renter in Florence, SC

I found a house on here and I and interested but the person wants me to send a deposit but I dont know if it a scam?

Asked by Dailar Porter, Florence, SC Thu Jul 7, 2011

I want the place but I dont know if its a scam. The person said that they will hold the house for me till I get ready to move in next year, it's hard to believe. Please Help

Answers

6
Hi Dailar,

You've received some great answers below. I concur with everyone that you should never exchange funds with anyone without first seeing a property in person and meeting the landlord or apartment manager, and if you are being asked to do so, you are likely encountering a scam.

If you or anyone else believes that they've encountered a scam listing on our site, please use the "Report an error" button on the property page to alert us about this, or email our Customer Service team directly via the link below.

Emily Erekuff
Community Moderator
Hi Dailar:

There are a lot of scams going on now with rentals, and many of them involve deposits. You should be very careful about anything that is "hard to believe" and involves you giving someone else your hard-earned money.

Ron
Hello Dailar,
It is a SCAM! Do not send any deposit money or give out your personal information. How do you know that this rental is truly available? How do you know if this person is really the true owner or landlord?

So many scams for rental properties are occurring more and more on real estate web sites; not just Trulia.
A popular scam is where the person takes the information for a property that is listed "for sale" and then turns around and posts it "for rent" in an attempt to get your money or personal financial information. Another is making up a fictitious address and posting it as for rent.

It's best to work with a real estate agent who can verify if the rental listings are valid. You usually do not have to pay a fee to work with an agent and they work for you in YOUR best interests. Something to consider.

Laura Feghali
Prudential Connecticut Realty
Apparently, it's all too easy to believe.

It's a scam.
Which cliche' is most appropriate:

It will still be there when you need it.

if it walks like a skunk, and it smells like a skunk,.....

if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Good luck and may God bless
More than likely a scam, most landlords don't hold rentals for a move in date of next year....don't send any money.