Question Details

Oggi Kashi, Real Estate Pro in San Francisco, CA

I believe the "Find a Pro" service on Trulia is broken. How many of you real estate brokers have realized you are not getting any?

Asked by Oggi Kashi, San Francisco, CA Tue Sep 13, 2011

representation? When people search for Brokers, the results show only the Brokers on Trulia however, when they search for Real Estate Agents, all brokers are omitted from the search results. I believe this is a major flaw - brokers who also work as agents must be included in both categories. I have voiced my concern over this issue and so far no action has been taken to correct this problem. Please reply to this post and also contact Trulia. Thanks.

Answers

20
Everything is tied to Facebook now(probably in lieu of going public) and to be truthful it does not make for happiness for the Professionals that have built this website! Guess you HAVE to join Facebook to get more FACE....

By the way I have repeatedly seen the same names of VIP's in the sidebox of (4) members. Do think it is time that all VIP's are represented(been "broke" for months??)
I've just changed back to "Agent" Thanks Oggi
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Sep 14, 2011
Good read on the subject:

http://=www.trulia.com%2Fblog%2Fscott_godzyk%2F2011%2F09%2Fhav" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://www.trulia.com/blog/scott_godzyk/2011/09/have_you_see…
Hi Oggi,

I'm afraid I don't. Our product team is aware of this pain point, however they have a lot of features currently teed up for development and will need more time to slot a change like this into their current road map. Though this might seem like an easy fix on the engineering side, it's actually not a trivial update for us to make.

Thank you for your patience in the meantime.

Emily
Emily,

Do you have an estimate for when this broker/agent issue will be resolved?
Hi Scott,

Click on the link below and then select 'Edit profile' on the left side of the page. You can then use the Pro Type dropdown menu to select Agent instead of Broker.

Emily
Ok how to i change from broker to agent? anyone help please.....
Oggi you have found a HUGE flaw that i didnt know about that explains some things. I am a Broker/Agent as well, i am listed as a broker but am not showing up under agents which is WRONG. This is a real bad day for my feelings about Trulia i tell you. First Trulia has erased me from the top 10 agents list and now i am erased from the agent list all together.

http://=www.trulia.com%2Fblog%2Fscott_godzyk%2F2011%2F09%2Fhave_you… target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://www.trulia.com/blog/scott_godzyk/2011/09/have_you_see…

PLEASE SEE MY BLOG TO SEE IF YOU HAVE BEEN ERASED
Hi Don,

Please keep in mind that if you have signed into Trulia with Facebook, Find a Pro will now show you results based on recommendations given to professionals from those in your social network. This means that everyone sees a different set of results, and when I search in Fairfax, you are the first result I see. If you want to verify this, try performing a search when you're not logged into your account.

You can also learn more about Social Search and it's benefits if you access the link below.

I hope this helps, but I'm more than happy to answer other questions or hear more of your feedback.

Emily
Wow--"Find a Pro" is now totally unusable!

You can't search by state, apparently. Plug in "Virginia" and it demands a town or Zip code. My office is in Burke; my home is in Fairfax. If I search either one, I can't find myself. Even if I put in something where I should be ranked fairly high (Best Answers or Helpful Answers, for instance), I don't appear. The only way I can force myself to appear is by searching by last name.
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Burke, VA
Thank you for the clarification Oggi. You have a very good point, and I will forward this thread to the team that manages Find a Pro.

Emily
Emily,

The category "All Real Estate Professionals" includes everyone and it's so broad. When potential clients are seeking representation, the first thought for most is people is "I need an Agent". That's how they would most likely begin their search. As a broker, who is also an agent, I would be omitted from the results when most people just search under the agent category. That's why I changed my status.

The broker or agent labels are readily visible for the user if it make a difference in who they will choose to contact. In order to correct this, a better way to proceed might be to add a 3rd option in the "Pro Type" drop down menu under our Profile Personal Information:

- Agent
- Broker (brokers who don't work as agent)
- Broker & Agent (professionals like me)

This way users are presented with all available agents in their area. Wouldn't this serve them better? I hope I was able to clarify our concerns. Please feel free to contact me by phone to discuss this further. Thank you so much for looking into this.

Oggi
Hi Oggi,

Thank you for your post. I'm afraid however that I'm not clear about the problem. Find a Pro results show "All Real Estate Professionals" unless you use the dropdown menu to select a specific professional type from among many choices including agents, brokers, mortgage lenders, appraisers, property managers, stagers, etc.

Are you not finding brokers listed when the results show "All Real Estate Professionals" or do you believe that brokers should be included in the list when someone elects to filter the list to show agents?

If you could clarify your concern, I would really appreciate it.

Emily
This doesn't effect me personally, but it does seem like a major flaw in the system. Hopefully they will fix it!
- Joan, you're welcome. In the past it didn't matter if users searched for "agents" or "brokers". The search results would always include all brokers on Trulia. This exclusion is something new.

- Allan, the Facebook recommendation system is another issue but it does needs improvement. I just closed on a property in Sausalito with a new client who found me on Trulia. When she wanted to post a recommendation, she was turned off by Turlia's Facebook requirement. She instead posted reviews for me on Zillow and Yelp. I am sure Trulia must be paying a huge fee to link up with fb however, this fb-only requirement is not providing a complete service for the members. There should be a secondary method for posting recommendations.
Thanks for writing about this. I just changed myself from broker to agent.
Interesting - just yesterday I tried a "Find a Pro" search and it did not work at all. A box prompting for more search criteria - state, city, zip - came up but it was static. This combined with a dropped call that came to the number Trulia has put in to capture leads - right in the middle of the conversation. Luckily the fellow called back and reported to me that when the call dropped, my voice was replaced with "Thanks you for calling Trulia" and then click.

Not good....
Here in SF it's either-or. I have switched my designation to "agent" because that seems to be what people tend to search for when they are ready to initiate contact.
It worked for my city. I still showed up under real estate agents.
had no idea but because of that i am switching myself to an agent. Disappointing.