Using Trulia in Houston>Question Details

Nasyim Segal, Real Estate Pro in Houston, TX

How much success have you had with the accuracy of the listing/sold data with Trulia.com?

Asked by Nasyim Segal, Houston, TX Wed Mar 27, 2013

Answers

7
Annette Lawrence’s answer
Texas agents need to carry this message in every signature line.
-
Texas agents need to provide buyers and seller access to your MLS, the only reliable source of accurate, reliable, relevant, comprehensive and timely real estate data.
-
Don't be shy. Give active buyers and seller easy access.
Nasyim,

Trulia, Zillow and all other "web" based real estate sites have no access to Texas sales data. In other states, this is public record...but not in Texas. They use county tax accessed values as their "sold" data. That could be off as much as 35%!

Your clients might question you on values as they are likely doing their own research on-line and using one or more of these sites. You have to get yourself educated on how these web sites operate VS your local MLS and review with them that a Realtor's data is much more accurate.

Mark McNitt
m 832-567-4357
Bernstein Realty, Inc.
Thank you Mark! As always, you're full of good information! I hope to do another transaction with you again in the near future. My clients are thoroughly enjoying the home that we closed together last year. Thank you for the response to my question.
Flag Wed Mar 27, 2013
Nasyim ...

Zero, zip, nada ... they're not even close. This Trulia listing, my "default" example, should sum it up ... a 3300 sq. ft. home, built in 1999, located in a gated Clear Lake golf course community, valued at ... are you ready ... $98,000! The property actually sold in the $360's.

Since sales prices are not public information in TX, the only accurate source of comparison is HAR, where you get actual numbers, not some figures based on a convoluted formula which bears no resemblance to reality.

Run your own comps ... it's your best source of accurate information.

Al Geffon
(713) 213-6350
al@geffon.net
Web Reference: http://www.har.com/algeffon
Trulia pulls from the tax data but has no way of evaluating sales based on condition, location, amenities. It's a good place for the public to get a general idea but nothing can take the place of running true comparables.
I always confirm on HAR.com.
0%
Realtors have access to real data.
Web Reference: http://jlindsey.net
Trulia has a lot of great tools, but I prefer to run my comps with the tools from my HAR.com website.
I can also pull county records from the Stewart Title link we are provided.