Using Trulia in Baytown>Question Details

Melissa Rang…, Renter in Baytown, TX

How exactly should I pay my deposit and know it's going to the property owner and it's being held for me. He is over seas going through this company.

Asked by Melissa Rangel, Baytown, TX Tue Jan 15, 2013

Answers

10
Hello Melissa:

Call me or we can meet at my office to talk about the proper way to handle this situation.

Gene Platt
REALTOR®
Illustrated Properties
(561) 632-5400
genedpla@gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/ShowMePalmBeach
You should be able to get a copy of the paperwork before you send the money. If you would like I could take a few minutes to check the property out for you. I had some listins a while back that someone tried to claim as their own and placed adds with my pictures etc. all over the place. Thank goodness I had people see them and alert me so I could try to get the adds removed. They had about 5 people that I know of that contacted them and were close to sending money.
Thank you. He told me once the first payment was maid he would take the property off the site and send me the keys and paperwork. So I should ask for the lease first. I appreciate all the advise.
How do you know this person is the owner of the property? Without a realtor to help you, I worry that you are being taken for a ride by somebody who just "says" they are the owner! Scams like that are common on certain websites, like Craigs List. Be careful.
Barbara Coker
NMLS#228545
Licensed Mortgage Loan Officer
100% Home Loans All Over Texas!
Certified funds would be either a money order or a cashiers check. You should have a copy of the contract signed by all parties before any money leaves your hands. If they can not provide you with specifics as to what extra fees may be, when rent is due, late fees, where and how to make rent payments etc. I wouldnt send any money.

Without a written agreement you are taking a huge chance.
No realtor to help me... So I'm getting all my tips and knowledge through here.
Ok I'm going through this website because my friends referred me. The house is nice and we agreed to make four increments of $200 payments for the damage fees. Before we move in. My first payment will be next Thursday the 24th. Agreed. But how I will be making the payment has not been discussed. How do I pay by certified funds. When 1st payment is made I'll get the keys & paperwork DHL in 24 hrs.
I agree. Always pay bycertified funds. You should have a lease agreement stating how, where and to whom you should make all payments. Check and double check everything. There are scam artists out there claiming to be owners of properties that are actually listed.
Hi Melissa, Always use certified funds that are traceable. Do you have a Realtor to help you with this?
An overseas owner puts up a redflag immediately. If they have hired a licences real estate company, chekc to make usre they have a license and it is valid. Make the check payable to them. If they take credit cards use that, not a debit card as you will get more protections through visa or mastercard. Check the tax card at city hall to make sure who the owner is. Never wire money and do not rent sight unseen.