Using Trulia in 33322>Question Details

Carol, Both Buyer and Seller in Sunrise, FL

How do I obtain a Trulia estimate on my home?

Asked by Carol, Sunrise, FL Fri Mar 23, 2012

Answers

12
For many people, there home is the biggest portion of their net worth so it's good to keep tabs on its estimated value.

Online services can give you a ball park estimate but they have a wide range. Most realtors will gladly prepare a comparable sales report to give you a closer idea. Whether you are ready to sell now or just keeping tabs on the market for later, it pays to get to know a local expert. Plus they can often get you in the loop on local trends and info.

Of course you know the absolute answer is that a home is worth what a buyer and seller willing agree to.
Hi Carol,

I'm Andrew, a community manager for Trulia and so can speak on Trulia's behalf.

Is your home up for sale or is it off the market? Currently Trulia is only offering estimates on off-market homes.

If your home is off-market, can you tell me what your address is?

Feel free to reply to my answer by adding a comment (see "Comment" in blue below) or you can email me directly at andrew@trulia.com.

Thanks Carol,

Andrew
None of the real estate websites that you find on line can give you an true estimate of the value of your home. A Realtor can provide you with a Market Analysis of your home based on comparative sales in your neighborhood. I will be happy to provide you with a complimentary Market Analysis to help you find the true value of your home. Please feel free to contact me any time.

Babrara Easton-Irvin
Atlantic Properties of Ft. Lauderdale
843-267-9232
FloridaLiving4U.com
It is time to consult a Realtor. I have 15 years experience in Real Estae and appraisal. Please call Saturday for a free counciltation.
Paul Straub 954-253-9781
And I should add, your best Idea of what your home is worth, what it will sell for, will come from the Appraiser you pay for. They do this every day for the banks, and your buyer will use an appraiser to back up your homes value with the bank. So their view has some REAL merit.

Yes, some times Appraisers get it wrong.

Realtors, you might hear never error!!!!

John
Hi Carol:

There are many sites that give an estimate of value, but none of these sites is accurate as they cannot see the inside of your home. Some homes are highly renovated and others need a lot of work done to them - these two types of homes could not be compared at the same price. There are many other comparables that go into obtaining a price.
I would be happy to come to your home and give you a no obligation free estimate of value for your home. I have the knowledge of your area and the prices that have sold.
I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards,

Lynne Hale (and Kylie Jacobs) - mother/daughter Team
Century 21 Hansen Realty Inc
Call: 954-303-0071
Email: lynne@lynnehale.com
Carol as others have said, the computer generated sites really don't do a good job.

And unlike others might say here, there are several things you might do. I do over 1,000 BPO's for banks each year, so I do know a little.

First go to:

http://www.bcpa.net/recmenu.asp

This is the Broward county property appraisers office. By Law: they are required to give a fair market price for your home. Normally they are pretty good at this. This will give you a point of reference, for what is coming.

Second, drive around your area and write down the names of the listing agents on the Yard signs. When you get two agents that come up twice, call them and have them do a BPO of your home. They may, MAY do this for free. I charge $100. just because I don't like listing homes

Now you have the county's Idea, and two agents IDEA.

Now go to yellow pages or INTERNET and have a Florida approved Appraiser come by your home and do an appraisal, this will cost $300 to $500.

Now you have 4 good ideas. Call back the Realtors and show them the Appraisal you had done and find out how they agree or disagree, show them to county as well (if they are good they have included the county in their BPO ( of CMA as some call it - Comparative Market Annalist)

Pick a Realtor from the two and you are on your way out of town.
Carol,
The only way to obtain a true estimate would be for a Realtor familiar with your area, to come to your home with recent comparable sales and then compare those to your home.

A computer generated estimate will never be accurate. You must use homes within a close radius, that compare in size and similar features. Then make adjustments for major differences, such as a waterfront location, pool and substantial upgrades. You must also take into consideration whether or not the comparable homes that have sold were short sales or foreclosures, and what condition those homes were in.

As great as the technology is, it is not a substitute for a human....especially a knowledgable Realtor who specializes in a particular area.

If you would like to contact me, I would be glad to help you. I am extremely familiar with your area and zip code. Feel free to contact me with any questions!

Stefanie Cohen, PA, ABR, SFR
Prudential Florida Realty
Scohen77@aol.com
954-547-9203
CHECK OUT THE VALUES IN BROWARD COUNTY HERE: http://www.browardhousevalue.com
You really do not want an automated or computer generated value, they are most often way off. The best bet is to have a local Realtor come who can easily give you a Brokers Price Opinion on what your house is worth in todays market,
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
you contact a real estate who you would list your home with and they will come out to do a broker price opinion. This means they will look at your home and compare it to properties that have sold in the last six months and also look at the current listing. If you need help with we can be of help to you

Jim Mathieu Broker
Alzie Realty
Hi Carol,
Just like Zillow proerty evaluation, these programs are far from beeing on target (Zillow admits they are as much as 40% (up and/or down) off target in Florida:(
Beside a professional appraisal, your BEST bet is to work with a KNOWLEDGABLE Realtor,

We are successfully selling greater Broward County since 1986!

Best wishes,

Meir Aloni & Team
**CRS (Certified Residential Specialist) **CDPE (Certified Distressed Property Expert)
**RECS (Real Estate Cyber Society)