Using Trulia in Studio City>Question Details

Alan Taylor, Real Estate Pro in Sherman Oaks, CA

Have you found Trulia to be a great Real Estate tool for communicating with agents and clients? What have been your outcomes? Please share your

Asked by Alan Taylor, Sherman Oaks, CA Tue Jan 5, 2010

thoughts; client & agent*

Answers

6
Hey Alan:

Yes, I have found Trulia to be a great communication tool. I have "met" and formed friendships with many of the individuals across the country on this site and would gladly refer clients to many of these same people. I've learned alot and (I hope) have contributed a lot of information--especially about my specialty, homeowners associations--to dispel mistruths and misperceptions for both the real estate community as well as buyers and sellers. I regularly spend hours (and I do mean "hours") here answering questions and the time devoted to the site has resulted in 12 transactions this past year through Trulia alone. I think part of that is the "spider" effect of each question on the search engines, and the other is the business model that I use as a Realtor.

As for Trulia's ability to "market" homes that I've listed, I've found, like Phillip, that this has been far less productive. It does provide exposure for the home across the country and Trulia provides metrics if you want to see who's looking, but nothing beats more established sites for marketing the listing, such as the local MLS and Realtor.com. This is just my personal experience, but many of my colleagues have told me of great success in their area using Trulia's site for marketing their listings. I think geography and available options for viewing listings can affect overall effectiveness.

So that's my take...you can certainly gain from Trulia, but it's about the time you're willing to devote to the medium.

Grace Morioka
Area Pro Realty
Hi Alan,

I contributed to Trulia a few answers to some questions many months ago. A local building owner in my area read my input, liked what he read and decided to contact me about selling his building. Today, I am inputting much more in the hope I really can EDUCATE and HELP people make informed real estate sales and marketing decisions. Of course, my motives are to help MARKET MYSELF in the meantime. Will it succeed? I think that we are all here more often to learn the answer to that question... only time can tell. Good luck to you Alan!
I agree with Grace's eloquent answer. I'll go one step further to say that Trulia may indeed become a growing competitor in the arena of marketing properties. As Trulia's membership grows and agents spend more time informing the consumer while further educating themselves, Trulia may adapt and find a way to provide uniqueness with features for the listings the consumer responds to. I'm not sure what that may be but in time that could evolve. After all, no changes are permanent, just change is. I think Trulia's business plan with these Q & As and blogs are innovative... watch as the membership grows.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 14, 2010
Hi Alan,

Welcome to Trulia.

I am not sure what you mean by "Trulia to be a great Real Estate tool for communicating with agents and clients?"
There is a tool that you can use to email your clients the number of times someone lo0ked at their homes on Trulia. I don't personally use it as I don’t see the value for my clients. I don’t see how else you could use Trulia to communicate with clients.

In regard of communicating with other agents, yes you can definitely develop affinities with other fellow agents and members. If your main goal is to communicate with other agents, exchange ideas etc... I would suggest more ActiveRain. It is free to join but you need to be a real estate professional.

If you are asking if Trulia is a great marketing tool for agents, then the answer is yes- Trulia has developed a high quality Q&A platform that attracts home buyers and sellers who are in their final stages and ready to buy/sell. Exposing yourself to Trulia's visitors is well targeted marketing and will generate business based among other things on consistency. Meaning you have to blog and answer questions consistently weeks after weeks to get that "max. exposure". It’s not for every one and it certainly comes at a cost (how much do you value your business time).

Not sure if this is what you meant and asked?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 5, 2010
So Alan, are we going to see you around or not?
No, I have not benefitted from using Tulia at all although it may be because I have a very high-priced listing and nobody on here is looking in that price range....unfortunately.