Using Trulia in Miami>Question Details

Ernesto ques…, Renter in Miami, FL

HOw can I tag a scam or almost a scam listing on trulia?

Asked by Ernesto quesada, Miami, FL Fri Dec 6, 2013

saw a house for rent, clled the number the lady said I can not talk to the listed agent but in order tosee the house I had to go to her website and pay 40 dollars to see the house and all the houses they have

Answers

11
Ok I flagged definitely this is a scam
thanks people
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 6, 2013
Just hit the Flag link and a drop down will pop up - then click on why you are flagging the post.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 6, 2013
just flag it and they will remove it or call customer service asap
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 6, 2013
Hello Ernesto,

Nathan from Trulia here. If you find a listing you feel is fraudulent on our site you can flag the property. Flagging the property will alert our fraud team and they will investigate the matter further. The flag button can be found on the upper portion of the listing display page under the address details.

We are actively working to filter out fraudulent listings from our site and appreciate your patience as we continually refine our process. If you continue to find similar properties or have additional questions, please contact our Customer Service Team at 1-888-466-3501 or customerservice@trulia.com

To better understand the warning signs of fraud, please review Trulia’s fraud overview here: http://www.trulia.com/blog/discovertrulia/2010/06/trulia_psa…
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 6, 2013
Any property that requires you to pay "anything" to view the property, is by my account, a scam!

Click the button at the top marked "flag", and report it as possible fraud.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 6, 2013
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL
Hi Ernesto:

Anyone who finds that a "home for sale" or a "home/unit for rent" listing is a scam here on Trulia, you can click on the small words "flag" at the top of the page. For rentals, and because scam listings are so prevalent, there is a drop down reason for flagging the site as "fraudulent listing". Click on this one, and the listing will be sent to a Trulia moderator. You'll get an email from Trulia acknowledging receipt of your complaint, and then about 24 hours later, you'll get another email from Trulia telling you what happened to the listing.

I spend about 1 hour per week going through all of the rental listings in Santa Clara County, California, and I flag and tag all of the rentals that are scams. Hopefully, this way, I can keep most of the consumers from having to go through what you have experienced in running into someone who wants money before seeing any homes.

Just remember, "flag" the listing, and it will be removed.

Thanks!
Grace Morioka
Allison James Estates & Homes
Santa Clara, CA
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 6, 2013
Red flags that indicate rental scam:

1. Low price compared to similar properties in the neighborhood. Too good to be true, it usually is.

2. No questions asked about income, credit, criminal background, number of family members, an over-all inappropriate "no problem" interview that any Realtor or Landlord will usually conduct over the telephone.

3. Easy terms to move in, low or no security deposit or last month's rent.

4. Unable to meet you to show the property, may be able to provide you with lock box combination so that you may go visit on your own.

5. Out of City/County phone number.

6. Asks to wire money in exchange of the keys to the property.

7. Repairs needed on the property or missing appliances that the tenant will have to assume cost.

I will finally would like to add that visiting a "Real Estate" office or meeting with a "Real Estate" agent does not exempt you from becoming a victim of fraud, you must check the credentials of every "agent" which is easily done by visiting the web page of the DBPR, make sure the licensee is who they say they are and that they do hold an active real estate license. Unfortunately I have seen just too many scams performed by these so called "agents" sitting in a nice office or that have met the prospective tenant or buyer and have provided them with a real estate business card.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 6, 2013
Ernesto,

This already sounds like scam. Your best option is to visit a real estate office of your choice and interview a couple of real estate agents. You can also interview a couple over the phone. Please feel free to email or call me if you have any further questions.

Alberto Baca
The Keyes Company
AlbertSellsHomes@gmail.com
305-218-2504
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 6, 2013
Hi, That is definitely a scam and t is very common to fall for them when you do not have the resources to cross reference the property. They usually take pictures from a real listing and create a craiglist or ad at a really bargain price to entice people for requests such as the one you mentioned. Please contact a Realtor, a Realtor will have access to all the information regarding the property and can help you view it provided it is a real listing , you will not incurr in any fees for that and you will have peace of mind. In addition, a Realtor can also check if the property is in foreclosure or distressed status, it has become a common practice for owners in distress to rent properties in foreclosure at a lesser amount since they are not paying a mortgage. Ultimately it results in more expenses to the tenant since they will be asked to vacate when the property is foreclosed and what seemed to be a bargain was nothing but a problem. If you will like me to check on the property or report it accordingly,please send me the address. If you need help with a rental,please let me know and I will be glad to assist you. 305-281-1115.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 6, 2013
You should use a realtor, there's no reason to search on your own. A realtor is free to buyers.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 6, 2013
Whats the address? Im curious to see what this is about.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 6, 2013