Christina Hi…, Renter in San Francisco County,...

HOW DO I REPORT HOUSING RENTAL SCAMS ON YOUR WEBSITE?

Asked by Christina Hierlihy, San Francisco County, CA Wed Sep 12, 2012

Answers

11
Alison Hillman’s answer
Hi Christina,

We take scams very seriously at Trulia. The first thing I would recommend you do is flag the scam so that you alert our moderators who manually investigate these types of issues. Next, please email fraud@trulia.com and include the link so that we can investigate further. If you have any additional questions, i am happy to be a resource, please don't hesitate to reach out!

Ali, Community Manager
I had the same situation, but when I tried to email fraud@trulia.com, the email bounced.
Flag Tue Dec 2, 2014
Someone copied my listing on trulia and is scamming people using my house and information and they arent removing it. I guess because the fraudster is paying for an ad on trulia.

There is t a damn thing I can do about it. The link is fron rentalads.com and I cant register on their site, so it is probably a criminal site. The rental comes up first in the page with my legitimate listing being buried. I guess scamming is how trulia makes money. I have linked the fraudulant ad.

The number for the fraudster is a google voice number out of NC, the house is in texas.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Feb 21, 2014
Hi Christina,

If you see a listing you believe is fraudulent, click the "Report error" button toward the bottom of the Home Facts tab. A pop up box will ask you for information on what type of error you want to report; select "Suspected Fraud" from the drop down. You can provide details and your email address if you want to, but those steps are optional. Click Send, and the Trulia Customer Support team will review the listing as soon as possible.

Zannie
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 13, 2012
BEWARE OF A SCAM THAT IS HAPPENING: There is a scam going on with the property address: 15500 Bond Mill Road, Laurel, MD 20707 that everyone should be aware of. There is a guy who claims to own the house and says he had to move to Kansas for a job transfer and he is willing to rent the house for $1,000 a month. This is all false information. He doesn't own the house and is only trying to get people to send him $1,000 to hold the house until they are ready to rent.
Same as several of you someone has also copied my listing and is scamming people. I've left voicemails and sent numerous emails to have it removed and it's only tagged as inactive. TRULIA REMOVE THIS AD FROM YOUR SITE!!! THE INACTIVE NOTICE IS NOT SUFFICIENT.

If anyone is interested in 3952 Holly Hill Drive Grand Prairie TX Please go to Hotpad.com or Zillow.com the better websites.

Email sent in response to this fraudulent ad.

At Jan 11, 2015, 10:16:41 PM, Immaculate place wrote:
Thanks for your email, I have decided to rent to own this house because we are going to spend more time here in Rochdale VA, my family and i will be here for about 3 years due the nature of my job. I must confess I am very new in this landlord business. However, I own the house located at ; 3952 Holly Hill Dr, Grand Prairie, TX 75052 3 bed, 2 bath 1,446 sqft Single-Family Home, the initial plan was to sell the house but sometimes the Realtor inflates the price and it takes longer to sell, because of this reason we have decided to Give it out as a rent to own to a responsible person that can take very good care of the property as we are not after the money, we want it to be clean and tidy at all time. Pets are allowed as long as they are not destructive. The rent is $700 and down payment is $1,300 and total move-in cost is $2,000. Here is the number to text me (323) 596-0954 because of my hearing condition and i also check my email often so feel free to contact me via email or text message for any further inquiries. You can drive-by to view the outside and neighborhood of the house and get back to me asap so i can forward you the rent questionnaire.
Address : 3952 Holly Hill Dr, Grand Prairie, TX 75052
FEATURES : Laundry, Electric Range, Electric Heat, Master Bedroom, Playground, Car Park.AMENITIES: Air Conditioning, Patio/Party Deck, Cable TV, Ceiling Fans, 24 hours Internet service, Dishwasher,Fire-pit, Garbage Disposal, Microwave, security alarm, Pets Friendly, Refrigerator, Washer / Dryer
Hi Tischa...look familiar??? This is the response I just got a rental inquiry on Trulia. Ridiculous!
Thanks for your interest in my House. I must confess that I am very very new in this landlord business..I own the house located at (205 W Comanche Ave, Tampa, FL 33604).Due to my missionary as a Reverend I spent less time in the States so I could not get a hold on any Realtor to handle this rent issue, although it was when I knew how long we are going to stay in (Connecticut) that I decided to rent out the house and i will be here for (2-3 years)..How ever,the initial plan was to sale out the house which I tried, but some times the agents inflates the prize and it takes longer to sell i am telling you this in case if you find the house on another website,that is the old advert. because of this reason and more we need a responsible person (With good credit) that can take very good care of it as we are not after the money,but want it to be clean and for you to take of it as if it were yours The rent is $1.300 and $800 for Security Deposit...Utilities such as Air Conditioner Dishwasher Walk-in Closet Refrigerator Vaulted Ceilings Washer/Dryer Cable etc are all included in the rent...Note: i will only have the keys to the house send to you once i confirmed the deposit from you
Fill the rental application form below and send it back to me as soon as you can if you are really interested in renting the house.
*****RENTAL APPLICATION FORM****
( Private and Confidential )
Fill below information correctly...
FIRST NAME:
MIDDLE NAME:
LAST NAME:
(CELL)PHONE
(Property)PHONE
KIDS : (YES/NO), HOW MANY :
PRESENT ADDRESS:
CITY:
STATE:
ZIP CODE:
WHEN DO YOU INTEND MOVING IN:
HOW LONG DO YOU INTEND STAYING:
HOW MANY MONTH RENT ARE YOU WILLING TO PAY UPFRONT:
HOW SOON CAN YOU MAKE THE DEPOSIT FEES:
DO YOU HAVE PET :
KIND OF PETS:
HABITS
DO YOU SMOKE :
DO YOU DRINK :
DO YOU WORK LATE NIGHT:
PICTURES OF OCCUPANT :
REFERENCE........
NAME:
ADDRESS:

Applicant represents that all information given on this application is true and correct. Applicant hereby authorizes verification of all references and facts. l look forward to hearing from you once you have filled the rental application so that we can proceed with the rental process.
Regards.

Reverend Blunt Moore Rarick
Flag Sat May 16, 2015
Hello Christina,

It would probably work best to report these to the white collar crime units in the police force.
More effective.

Hope this helps,

Irina Karan
Beachfront Realty, Inc.
IrinaKaran@gmail.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 15, 2012
Love it when staff responds!
Jed Lane, Real Estate Pro in San Francisco, CA
Hi Christina,

As mentioned before here, use the report botton, Trulia will eventually remove the fraudulent listing from ther site. It recently happened to me, when somebody posted a false leasing add, at a very low price- anyone remembers 1840 Washington offered for rent at $2,600?! My name was associated to the listing as a leasing and property manager and I had no idea until the phone started ringing day and night. As a Realtor, I think it is very detrimental to our image. I had to explain everyone that is a scam and better not to send any funds to anyone.

In addition to reporting it, I talked to my sales rep at Trulia, who was fast to remove the add.

If you give me the address of the listing or post it here, I can pass it along to my rep, this way we can be sure that somebody live receives the complaint before the weekend ends.

Take good care.

Alina

Alina Aeby- Broker Associate
Pacific Union International/Christie's Great Estates
415.744.5844
http://www.bestsfhomes.com
Trulia used to have live monitors of the "Voices" site. Offensive language and spammers were blocked and the Community Guidelines were actively enforced. If it is still the same then one of them should come and answer this post!
If no one at Trulia is working to screen out the rampant rental scams then I for one will not post my rentals here, and this site will become useless to renters, landlords, and property managers alike.
I've had this happen to a couple of our rental listings in the past on trulia, and in every case, I sent an email to their customer support department. The personell were quick to remove the fraudelant post. so my advice to you would be to send them an email to notify them of the suspicious post. I hope this helps.

P.S. I hate scam artists!
i have been following Trulia housing rentals for a month or more and there are several scammers out there, who say they live out of the country and or missionaries etc. post the properties as their own,
and want you to send them the money overseas to rent the properties. No one in thier right mind would
do this. So far, Trulia does not have a sight to report this on
Beware