Christina Hi…, Renter in San Francisco County,...

HOW DO I REPORT HOUSING RENTAL SCAMS ON YOUR WEBSITE?

Asked by Christina Hierlihy, San Francisco County, CA Wed Sep 12, 2012

Answers

9
Alison Hillman’s answer
Hi Christina,

We take scams very seriously at Trulia. The first thing I would recommend you do is flag the scam so that you alert our moderators who manually investigate these types of issues. Next, please email fraud@trulia.com and include the link so that we can investigate further. If you have any additional questions, i am happy to be a resource, please don't hesitate to reach out!

Ali, Community Manager
Hi Christina,

If you see a listing you believe is fraudulent, click the "Report error" button toward the bottom of the Home Facts tab. A pop up box will ask you for information on what type of error you want to report; select "Suspected Fraud" from the drop down. You can provide details and your email address if you want to, but those steps are optional. Click Send, and the Trulia Customer Support team will review the listing as soon as possible.

Zannie
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 13, 2012
Someone copied my listing on trulia and is scamming people using my house and information and they arent removing it. I guess because the fraudster is paying for an ad on trulia.

There is t a damn thing I can do about it. The link is fron rentalads.com and I cant register on their site, so it is probably a criminal site. The rental comes up first in the page with my legitimate listing being buried. I guess scamming is how trulia makes money. I have linked the fraudulant ad.

The number for the fraudster is a google voice number out of NC, the house is in texas.
Hello Christina,

It would probably work best to report these to the white collar crime units in the police force.
More effective.

Hope this helps,

Irina Karan
Beachfront Realty, Inc.
IrinaKaran@gmail.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 15, 2012
Love it when staff responds!
Jed Lane; Fog…, Real Estate Pro in San Francisco, CA
Hi Christina,

As mentioned before here, use the report botton, Trulia will eventually remove the fraudulent listing from ther site. It recently happened to me, when somebody posted a false leasing add, at a very low price- anyone remembers 1840 Washington offered for rent at $2,600?! My name was associated to the listing as a leasing and property manager and I had no idea until the phone started ringing day and night. As a Realtor, I think it is very detrimental to our image. I had to explain everyone that is a scam and better not to send any funds to anyone.

In addition to reporting it, I talked to my sales rep at Trulia, who was fast to remove the add.

If you give me the address of the listing or post it here, I can pass it along to my rep, this way we can be sure that somebody live receives the complaint before the weekend ends.

Take good care.

Alina

Alina Aeby- Broker Associate
Pacific Union International/Christie's Great Estates
415.744.5844
http://www.bestsfhomes.com
Trulia used to have live monitors of the "Voices" site. Offensive language and spammers were blocked and the Community Guidelines were actively enforced. If it is still the same then one of them should come and answer this post!
If no one at Trulia is working to screen out the rampant rental scams then I for one will not post my rentals here, and this site will become useless to renters, landlords, and property managers alike.
I've had this happen to a couple of our rental listings in the past on trulia, and in every case, I sent an email to their customer support department. The personell were quick to remove the fraudelant post. so my advice to you would be to send them an email to notify them of the suspicious post. I hope this helps.

P.S. I hate scam artists!
i have been following Trulia housing rentals for a month or more and there are several scammers out there, who say they live out of the country and or missionaries etc. post the properties as their own,
and want you to send them the money overseas to rent the properties. No one in thier right mind would
do this. So far, Trulia does not have a sight to report this on
Beware