Question Details

Jeffgagne, Home Buyer in 72712

Fake/Joke Listings: no way to report?

Asked by Jeffgagne, 72712 Sun Sep 16, 2012

I've stumbled upon a fake listing and noticed that really, other than here, there is no way for a buyer/user to interact with Trulia the company. That got me thinking what if ads violate the Fair Housing Act?

Anyway if you're willing to pay $500k you can have this shack in Green Acres complete with banjo!

http://www.trulia.com/property/3094351602-5805-Sara-St-Fayet…

Answers

5
Jeff, I find this just as offensive as you apparently did, and I've tracked down the website that fed the information to Trulia. I also attempted to report it to Trulia, but it's really the source website that's the problem.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 16, 2012
Thank you for your help Ann! - Ali, Community Manager
Flag Mon Sep 17, 2012
BTW: thanks for the reply!
Flag Sun Sep 16, 2012
Yeah, as did I, and agree. I just think there should be some way fo bother buyers and agents to report listings of concern. When I think about it if a listing such as this can get through what's to say something less obvious and more devious can't? I'm a software product manager in the big data space but different industry and crowd sourcing is a great tool. It's unfortunate that neither Trulia and Zillow provide for that. Taking the "Report This Listing" one step further would be to allow buyers to post their impressions of the property after a walk though or open house etc. Sort of like Amazon reviews? While it may not make some interested parties happy it sure would make Trulia a "go to" rather than it's big brother Zillow. IMHO!
Flag Sun Sep 16, 2012
Majority of daily users are able to detect fake listings on Trulia and Trulia should allow them to flag these listings since I know its almost impossible for Trulia to catch all these listings, I understand. TRULIA DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS AND ADD A FLAG FEATURE IN YOUR LISTINGS SO USERS CAN TELL YOU WHICH LISTINGS ARE FAKE. LOTS OF FLAGS = HIGHLY POSSIBLE FAKE LISTING!
What is the cost of posting rental property as a landlord?
Hi Jeff-

That does look sketchy, thanks for bringing it to our attention. I will pass the listing along to our customer service team for review. In the future, please report these kinds of issues to us by emailing fraud@trulia.com. If I can help with anything else, please don't hesitate to reach out! I am happy to be a resource for you.

Ali, Community Manager
Of course that is a fake listing. It is worth being aware when an agent finds an error in their own listing and attempts to correct the data, they will encounter the following message:
"You cannot edit this listing because Trulia receives this listing from a 3rd party provider who restricts editing of listing data."
-
In essence, a agent who has concern for the integrity of the data displayed can only change images and schedule open houses. That is ALL!
-
So, please be aware of this should you encounter other discrepancies. It has nothing to do with the real estate agents involved. The AGENTS did not enter the data. can not modify the data and did not give consent for the data to appear on aggregate websites.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 16, 2012