Using Trulia in 27516>Question Details

andrewcrihfi…, Home Owner in Chapel Hill, NC

Comparing Properties

Asked by andrewcrihfield, Chapel Hill, NC Mon Nov 25, 2013

All the houses you are comparing my house to have only one or two acres. I have 10.01 acres and many other features for a boarding facility. I have a 12 stall barn 100' x 150 ft riding arena etc. If you are going to put a price on the internet it should be accurate.

Answers

5
Hello Andrew,

I'm sorry to hear that Trulia is misrepresenting your home, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. When the time comes that you're ready to sell your property, your listing agent will be looking at your house specifically, taking into account all of its assets and features. Any buyers agent who knows what they're doing will do the same, instead of relying on a number generated by Trulia.

If you would like a more accurate estimation of your homes value, I would be happy to take a look! You can contact me from my Profile page, or by emailing me at:

kendall.scoville@allentate.com
Hi Andrew,

Thank you for contacting Trulia regarding the price comps of your home on our site. This is something we are currently working on improving and will be sure to keep this feedback noted. We are always striving to obtain the best data possible and appreciate your feedback and understanding with this issue.

If you have additional questions, please contact our customer support at http://www.trulia.com/help/ask/ or call Customer Service at 1-888-466-3501.
Andrew,
I understand your frustration. Most of these sites use AVM automated valuation models that throw a bunch of data into their computers and try to come up with some logical values for homes. It is a crude methodology at best. It always has been and hopefully always will be the job of a professional like myself to look at the raw data, use that, interpret it as well as the many qualitative factors and your unique home features and help you arrive at a more realistic value. This is the value that you get with working with a Realtor; one that is experienced in your community. I wish we could help you clarify some of the values that are not truly reflective of what your property has to offer but those companies will continue to use their methods as they just don't have the "feet on the street." Hope this helps you understand a little better.
Andrew,

Unfortunately no one at Trulia is going to respond to your question and honestly only a fool would look at an online valuation and take it to really mean anything. I find that many consumers simply don't realzie that no one at sites like Trulia or Zillow is in real estate. Their not, and have never seen a single home on thier sites other than possibly some in their own neighborhoods. These sites are marketing sites, and I agree with you and have long argued against their posting valuations which not only are meaningless their aggravating to people like you and Realtors like myself who have to wate time explaining to buyer clients that these online valuations are about as meaningful as daily horoscopes printed in newspapers. What many don't understand is that you aren't really who thier marketing to, it's to Realtors like myself and they post these valuations in order to get eyeballs on their sites so they can then telll folks like me that they have so many hundreds of thousands of views each month in order to justify their advertising costs.

The best advice I can offer you is ignore it, it really is meaningless and when the time comes that you're selling your home a good top notch local Realtor will do a market analysis for you and then review the data with you to set a proper listing price that will be justified by current market data.
Hello Andrew,
You can see why buyers and sellers should not rely on Internet sites to determine possible listing and selling prices.
Without a Realtor's involvement the figures come from computers and public records, which do not select the best comparable sales for any given property.