How To... in Brooklyn>Question Details

Florence, Other/Just Looking in Brooklyn, NY

Can my landlord let me know about a rent increase just by mailing me an invoice?

Asked by Florence, Brooklyn, NY Sun Oct 5, 2008

I am renting an apartment in Brooklyn, NY for which a one year lease was signed a few years ago but not renewed. A few months ago, my landlord slipped a note under my door that 2 weeks later the rent would increase of $250. I called the landlord to discuss, left messages but was never called back. Since then, the landlord send me every month invoices of the 'increased' rent. I kept on paying the initial rent as no agreement was made.
Last week a new notice was slipped under my door notifying me that the last rent I paid for August for used to cover my 'debt' and that I still owed that month. The landlord can not prove i received his correspondance, no official mailing was send. Can my landlord legally claim this money?

Answers

1
Landlord tenant laws differ in every state. Look at your lease agreement. Does it state that it will revert to a month to month tenancy after the end of the 1 year?? You might try calling a property management company or a legal hotline to get your question answered.

In Oregon a landlord must give a 30 day written notice, either handed to the tenant or mailed first class, (or both) when the rent is changed on a month to month rental agreement. The yearly lease can only be increased at the end of the year. Jean