Using Trulia in Chicago>Question Details

omarzamora1+…, Home Buyer in Chicago, IL

Can I purchase an HUD home using a conventional loan?

Asked by omarzamora1+trulia, Chicago, IL Fri Oct 25, 2013

There is a HUD home that I am interested in purchasing but only list an FHA loa. I am pre-qualified for a conventional loan and would like to avoid the hassle of a FHA loan. Do HUD home FHA qualified properties allow this?

Answers

16
Yes- this is not a problem
If you would like a competetive quote please feel free to contact me
Sam Sharp
Senior Vice President of Mortgage Lending
773 290 0455
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Oct 25, 2013
Absolutely!

Contact your lender and ask him/her to walk you through the process. Also, make sure you work with a broker that is familiar with HUD homes, she/he will need an access key, but it sounds like you already determined which one you like and want.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 26, 2013
Yes. When you buy a HUD home, you can pay cash, conventional or FHA. But I recommend you use a broker who knows HUD home procedure. They can be a great deal, but they need to meet conventional mortgage standards, there are limits on overbidding and you need to pay the closing and title fees and in some areas, your attorney has to handle all with the title company.

Even the bidding process is both easy and tricky. The entire process is very different. And you must use a HUD registered broker to bid. But just because they are a HUD broker, you need to make sure they have done HUD transactions within the last 12 months.

You can go on the hudhomestore.com website and look for brokers in your area. Just make sure to ask experience questions when you speak with them.
You can go conventional on a HUD home.

Any questions feel free to call me or email me.

Chris Diamond
Licensed Mortgage Banker
NMLS: 771882
Diamond Residential Mortgage Corporation
847-775-2181
chris.diamond@thedrmc.com
Mr. Zamora,

I believe I know what was confusing you. HUD AQUIRES homes from FHA loans that were foreclosed but absolutely does NOT require a buyer use an FHA loan to purchase a HUD home. Below I have copied and pasted a definition directly from the HUD website and below that is a link. I recommend you peruse their website and you might find some useful information. For example, if you are a police officer, firefighter, EMT, or teacher you could qualify for a *50%* discount on the list price of the home!

"What is a HUD Home?

A HUD home is a 1-to-4 unit residential property acquired by HUD as a result of a foreclosure action on an FHA-insured mortgage. HUD becomes the property owner and offers it for sale to recover the loss on the foreclosure claim."

SOURCE: http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/program_offices/hou…

Best of luck in your search and please call me if I can help you further.

Stephanie Scott, Agent at Coldwell Banker
816-868-6748
stephanie.scott@cbexchange.com
Dear Home Buyer,

Sam Sharp with Guaranteed Rate is your man. :)
Call any of these people:

Justin Lopatin – Perl Mortgage - jlopatin@perlmortgage.com - 847.345.0308
Michael Black – Winstrust Mortgage - mblack@wintrustmortgage.com – 773.426.6798
Matt Porter – Charter One Bank - Matt.Porter@charteronebank.com – 847.897.1030
Mike Caraga – GMA Consultants – gmaconsultant36@gmail.com – 708.359.6495
It sounds like you are are misunderstanding the HUD home's listing. The listing probably says that the home is eligibile for FHA financing. This does not mean that you cannot use a conventional loan to purchase the home. HUD does not care what type of financing you use. If the home is in good enough condition for FHA financing it is probably in good enough condition for a conventional loam. Did the listing mention if there was a repair escrow required? Also, you mention that you "would like to avoid the hassle of a FHA loan". What hassles are you referring to? I don't find conventional transactions to be any easier to close than FHA transactions.
Nick Radakovich Home Sales Realty
Thank you for the prompt reply. There is an escrow of $150.00 for needed repairs from when it was last appraised. I was under the assumption that an FHA load was required on all HUD home properties. After hearing the reply's this is not the case. I would like to stick with a traditional loan.
Flag Fri Oct 25, 2013
As long as the condition of the home meets the Conventional Loan criteria, then you should be OK.
Web Reference: http://www.BJDLOANS.com
Yes of course , but keep in mind that if you used FHA loans they will granted closing costs to you of 3% but ni with conventional loans in HUD houses ...
This rule apply in 90% of cases
Any qualified buyer can purchase a HUD home using either an FHA or conventional loan. You may even purchase a HUD property with cash. You need an agent who is qualified to bid on the home of your interest. Since HUD homes are foreclosed properties it is especially important to have a comprehensive home inspection.
Yes you can do this.

Get a good Realtor and lender to help you out in this process.
Web Reference: http://Americorpre.com
You shouldn't have any problem.

Please cal Miz Ramadani at Sierra Pacific Mortgage 708 499 5626
Hi Omar,

Purchasing a HUD home with comventional financing is possible depending on the condition of the home. Some HUD homes require repairs and would not meet Conventional lending standards. We would be glad to answer specific questions that you may have about the condition of the home and whether it would pass Conventional guidelines.

Feel free to contact us directly at rkimball@myccmortgage.com
Richard Kimball
Illinois State Manager
Crosscountry Mortgage, Inc.
847-252-7900 xt. 5515
Hello Omar,

You can purchase a home using any kind of financing you wish. Now, there are some properties that require certain issues to be fixed before you buy or after the purchase. These type of homes require a special type of financing called "Rehab Loan". If this home is in need of repairs then you might be reading a requirement for an FHA 203k loan (Rehab Loan). Although FHA does a majority of these loans there are also many conventional rehab loans available.

If you still need more help please feel free to contact me. Good luck!
It depends on the condition of the property but generally yes.