Using Trulia in 94110>Question Details

Cristina, Renter in San Francisco County,...

Anyone else encountered the scam at 612 Van Ness Ave?

Asked by Cristina, San Francisco County, CA Thu Jun 30, 2011

I drove by to look at the seemingly great deal, but the address didn't exist. I asked the lister if there was a typo and he responded that I needed to start working on the paperwork right away or I'd lose the opportunity.

Answers

8
Hi Leopold,

The listing in question that I removed was located in San Francisco.

Emily
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 6, 2011
Emily, I responded earlier that I suspected the listing is of 612 S Van Ness Avenue .... but not in San Francisco. I note that there was such a listing in Santa Ana. It was on your site, sold in '09, apparently back on the market, but not on Trulia.

Curious ..... is this the listing under discussion?

Leo

LEOPOLD A RODRIGUEZ
Real Estate Broker
BlackStone
400 Montgomery 505
San Francisco CA 94104
Office: 415.781.3000
Hi Christina,

We've received similar reports from another consumer on our site and do believe that this is a scam listing. It will be removed from our site shortly. Please be sure never to exchange funds with anyone without first seeing a property in person and meeting the landlord or apartment manager. If you are being asked to do so, you are likely encountering a scam.

As Lamont said, if you encounter other listings on our site that you believe are scams, please use the "Report an error" button on the property page to alert us about this, or email our Customer Service team directly via the link below.

Emily Erekuff
Community Moderator
Get his license # and check it out with the DRE. No license? Fogidboutit. Lot's of scams everywhere nowadays. Folks that are renting and leasing, and there's a whole lot of them, are particularly vulnerable inasmuch as many of them have become recently displaced due to a foreclosure or short sale.

This brings the hucksters out of the woodwork. Be careful and proceed with caution and don't sign anything until you verify and qualify the property managements credentials. This definitely smells of a scam. I'd say........................... NEXT!!
Cristina,
Unfortunately, this being a Trulia site, I hate to say this but sometimes the information can be sligthtly old or misleading. Being a free site, there are a number of postings that are not legitimate. Trulia is very good about getting scam listings off..so if you find one, definitely report it. They will follow up with the listing agent and verify if the listing is legit or not.......

I can't seem to find any info about 612 Van Ness other than review from other users. but large buldings tend to have a range of addresses so not finding 612 may not be a show stopper. If you need further assistance, just shoot me an email and I'll find out the scoop for you.....

There are tons of other rentals out there at this price point so you shouldn't have trouble getting into a place with 2200.......email me...and I'll point you in the right direction.
You refer to "the lister." If that's an agent, then speak to his/her broker.

Otherwise, sounds like a scam. "Seemingly great deal" is a big red flag. Scammers are usually smart enough to pick actual houses/actual properties. Even people who don't drive by are going to look the property up on something like "Google Maps."

So, if "the lister" is a licensed agent, speak to his/her broker. Otherwise, just move on.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Burke, VA
I don’t know that there is such an address in San Francisco. But there is in other cities.

Try Googling “612 Van Ness” and “612 S Van Ness”.

LEOPOLD A RODRIGUEZ
Real Estate Broker
BlackStone
400 Montgomery 505
San Francisco CA 94104
Office: 415.781.3000
Hi Cristina,

You say the individual ignored your question and just tryed to get you to begin the paperwork and there is no such address. This certainly sounds like a scam. There are many scams that are common right now. The most popular is for prospective renters like yourself to be shown a property for rent only to find out after you have given the deposit that the home is owned by someone else and they are not the person(s) you spoke with. The individuals then take your check and vanish. This sounds similar except that no such address exists and there only objective is to get you to complete the paperwork and submit your deposit before you discover the property does not exist. It's a good thing you drove by the home initially. Be carefull and good luck in your search.

Warmest regards,

Matt