Using Trulia in Seattle>Question Details

Josh, Other/Just Looking in

Active MLS Addresses aren't showing up on trulia..

Asked by Josh, Wed Apr 6, 2011

I have plugged in the address for about 15 homes that were on my favorites from another site. When plugging them in over here, 4 of them show as not for sale - I doubled checked with a third site that the listings were still active.. It just seems like your site is broken. very disappointed. I can't do new searches with any confidence that i'll be seeing everything thats available.

Answers

13
Debbie, in this area NWMLS listings are not automatically fed to Realtor.com. That changed about 2-3 years ago.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 7, 2011
Hi, For the other agents, this is why I always manually input my listings into Trulia. If you don't you will have less control and take the chance that it won't be fed to the site properly. It only takes a couple of minutes to do.

Christopher Pagli
Licensed Associate Broker
Accredited Buyer Representative
GREEN Designated Agent
William Raveis Legends Realty Group
914.406.9023
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 7, 2011
Hi Josh,

Trulia is an aggregator of listing data. It is not an multiple listing service (mls) database. Trulia gets their data from a myriad of sources. Sometimes agents add their own listings. Sometimes Trulia has subscription agreements with different brokerage firms. There may even be a few mls's with which Trulia subscribes for the data.

I suggest you think of Trulia as a place to get a feel for the market and to get your real estate questions answered. if you want the complete data for a given mls, I suggest you go directly to a local brokerage firm's website. Now, whether or not all the listings from all the different companies will show on a given brokerage firm's or agent's website depends on the business rules of the given mls.

In the Northwest MLS (which covers 21+ counties in Washington), brokers share all their data because of the business rules of the Northwest MLS. So, you will have the best opportunity to find exactly what you are looking for if you connect with a good, professional agent who will meet with you for a consultation and then can set up a search for you and can send you daily updates.

My own website, http://www.karenmcknight.com , has a search that includes all northwest mls listings in the greater Seattle area, if you would like a site that has complete data. You just click on the Property Search button and a map interface opens.

Also, if you decide you want to do more than just look, the first step is to talk with a real estate broker about introducing you to a great lender. Today's lending environment requires that you work with a knowledgeable, experienced lender. If you would like, I can recommend some of the best lenders in the Seattle area to you.

Good luck in your search.

Warm Regards,
Karen
Hi Josh,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. As others have already said, Trulia does not have listing information for all properties that may be listed in the MLS. We apologize for the inconvenience and for your disappointment.

However I do want to encourage you to search for properties also by address and not just MLS number. Some sites that syndicate property information to us do not include MLS numbers, so we may actually have the properties you are looking for.

I hope this suggestion is helpful. Please let us know if you have any other feedback or questions for us.

Best Wishes,

Emily Erekuff
Community Moderator
I have no idea why they changed that. I had to change offices to get my listings back on Realtor.com, although the prime motivation for the move was that we had moved our house, and the old office was no longer easy to get to.
thanks Kary - clearly, I didn't know that - live and learn!!

What was the reason they stopped the automatic feed?
Also have a new listing posted Tuesday on MLS, still waiting to claim it!
Realtor.com usually has accurate listing information , as it feeds directly from the MLS.
If your local MLS has internet access for the public, that also is a good source of reliable information.

Sites like trulia , zillow and others often rely on agents inputting their listings manually...... information can be unreliable.
It's up to the listing agent to add them to Trulia if their broker doesn't syndicate automatically. Welcome to the world of real estate!
Josh, None of the 3rd party sites are accurate. Some homes never make it to the sites for the reasons stated below. Often, house stay on the site months after they are sold. The only accurate information is directly on the NWMLS, which only brokers have access to. It costs nothing to use an agent to represent you & I would recommend you do that right away so you can get accurate information & have the help you need.

I would suggest that as a buyer, you Google every agent that responds to your question here on Trulia, learn as much as you can about who they are online, read their client testimonials, so you know what their clients are saying about them, and then give us each a call and just ask us why we think you should work with us instead of another agent. This will take you a few hours to do, but will be time well spent, as choosing the right agent is the first step towards choosing the right home. Then, pick the best fit for you and let them go to work for you with the skill and knowledge that they have. I hope to hear from you soon.
Josh,
Trulia has good info, but not all MLS listings in NWMLS appear here. Trulia listings are syndicated, which means fed through other sites like Postlets or specific offices. Those that do appear here are not updated the same as on other sites that are fed by NWMLS so they may appear inactive and still be active.
Check with Trulia for good advice and trends, but the main local company sites will be more complete.
In Seattle (northwest mls) Brokers all agreed to participate in an IDX agreements. That is the internet data exchange. So all the "broker sites like Windermere, JohnLScott, Columbia-re.com, Redfin, and others all have every home that is listed with all the companies. All the listings are the same. Non-broker sites like Trulia, Zillow, Craigslist, and Realtor.com only have listings agents or brokers have uploaded to them.

My advise is to check out the broker sites and pick the one or ones you like the user inter-phase and then look at the others for the "for sale by owners" and other educational resources.

Also, enlist the help of a Broker before you think you need them. My wife and I saw a house two years out of college in 1996. If we would have talked in detail with the agent and learned how easily we would have qualified, we would have purchased four years earlier and reaped a whole lot of equity.

If you or someone you know would like help with Real Estate, please give me a call.

Brett Frosaker
Broker
Columbia Real Estate Group
http://www.columbia-re.com
206-755-7858

Join me on:
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/frosaker
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/bfrosaker
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/brettfrosaker
Web Reference: http://www.frosaker.com
not every home on the MLS will be here. not all agents put their listings on Trulia, zillow and other such sites, however sometimes there are listings here that are not on MLS because they are fsbo or they are an agent that is not a member of the MLS. for best results, use the MLS search and these as a supplemental.
it's not the site that's broken, it's just how it's used.