Rox393, Home Buyer in

how long is commute from vancouver to portland at rush hour? i live in small town, not sure how long "horrendous" is as i see on the blogs?

Asked by Rox393, Mon Feb 6, 2012

husband is taking a job in mid vancouver. interested in school for kids in portland. trying to decide where to live and which way commuting is easier.

Answers

3
Jake Gander’s answer
If you are looking to live in Portland and work in Vancouver, the drive will not be that bad. The really bad traffic is from Vancouver to Portland in the morning and Portland to Vancouver in the evening. If you would be commuting opposite of these times, the drive shouldn't be too bad (barring any major accident or something...).

However, you might consider both living and working in Vancouver. There are a couple of reasons for this: property taxes are lower, no income tax and perhaps most important to you, would be the public schools in Washington are superb! Just something to think about!!
Timing is everything.....and the potential of the Columbia River Crossing will definitely influence the commute. Working in Vancouver, your husband will be on a reverse commute so he should be golden in terms of working in Vancouver and living in Portland. Did you check out the Salmon Creek schools? The tax impact? Let me know if I can help; I am a Designated Broker in Washington and a Principal Broker in Oregon. 503-819-6923 karla@karladivine.com Best of luck!
Obviously this will depend from where in the Portland area you will be commuting from, but generally you will be going in the "opposite direction" from all the heavy traffic. If you live in the N or NE part of Portland, in neighborhoods like St. John's or Kenton, your commute to Vancouver could be as little at 15 minutes one way. There are also certain parts of SE Portland where you can easily access I-5 or I-205, that would allow for a short commute as well. Typically your morning commute will probably be a little faster than your evening commute, but shouldn't exceed 30 minutes normally. Hope this helps!