Alison Hillm…, Other/Just Looking in San Francisco, CA

With more bike lanes being built soon, would you let your child bike around Chicago?

Asked by Alison Hillman, San Francisco, CA Tue Aug 7, 2012

Chicago’s newest protected bike lane will run along Dearborn Street in the Loop and will include red lights (this is apparently a much safer option than what currently exists) for bikes!

The intention is for Chicago to attract and keep high tech companies and their workers who favor bicycles. I am curious how this will change the idea of kids biking around the city...any thoughts?

More info here: http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/14267923-418/more-bike-la…

Answers

6
As a biking realtor, who takes clients, and even their kids on bikes, I'd let my children ride around Chicago right now. Unfortunately, most Chicago cyclists exhibit the intellect of the motorists they curse at evidenced by the streets they choose to bike on (and sometimes their refusal to use bike racks or use of mountain bikes).

These bike lanes will open up a lot more people to biking and that's never a bad thing, until we become Beijing, but at least then we'll get better pork buns.

Anyway, if you choose to bike on Wabansia Street rather than North Avenue, it's like biking in a park. Same goes for Hubbard Street rather than Grand Avenue, or Oakley instead of Western or Wilson instead of Montrose. The list goes on. Just don't run those stop signs without looking. That hurts.

Then again, this could be why I don't have children.
Chicago's city streets are too dangerous for bicycles, even if every street had a protected bike lane there are still too many crossings. Turning vehicles don't expect bikes to be approaching at 20 mph and parked cars opening doors pose a very dangerous threat. The only safe road for bikes is one that's closed to traffic. The bike path along the lakefront is great as long as it's not congested.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 7, 2012
I am a bike nut who rides everywhere, but I would not let my kids ride on most of the city streets and 'protected' means nothing.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 7, 2012
Kids do not belong on city busy streets
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 7, 2012
Biking is a huge part of the city and I could only imagine that the bikers loved this new lane. It will continue to grow the biking population for years to come.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 7, 2012
As with any community whether it be a big city or a smaller town, caution must always be taken when allowing kids to venture away from home. ...safer bike paths are a bonus for the city.