Clueless, But…, Other/Just Looking in Los Angeles, CA

Where is the best place to live between Santa Monica and thousand oaks that will be safe and lower commute time?

Asked by Clueless, But Hopeful. <3, Los Angeles, CA Mon Nov 21, 2011

My Fiancee's job just moved from Oakland, to Thousand oaks and we are trying to find . . . shocker: A nice Apartment in a nice area with not too much to pay for rent. We are hoping for a pet cat and dog friendly places and also a town that is safe, but has attractions or school within walking biking distance . . . (I need to be near a Community college that I can transfer my credits to.) Within a year we are hoping to buy a condo, before that our price range is for 1.400 or less. Neither of us know L.A. very well so we don't know what to look for unfortunately and it's all a little scary Advice has been Studio City and Santa Monica.

Answers

3
Douglas Lagos’ answer
Clueless,

A commute from anywhere South of Pacific Palisades (North of Santa Monica) to Thousand Oaks will take about 45 minutes. With traffic you can double that time, which in LA means most days! Studio City will take about 30 minutes if no traffic on the 101 FWY. With traffic on the 101, you can easily double that time.

If you don't need to live on the Westside (Santa Monica), you can move to Woodland Hills, or Thousand Oaks. Pierce College is in Woodland Hills.

Douglas Lagos
Realtor®, Certified HAFA Specialist (CHS)
DRE# 01921046
Coldwell Banker Residential
Tel. (310) 463-8088 http://www.douglaslagos.com
If you have tuned in to San Nite Live and heard their routine about Southern California and the 405 it's hilarious and just a little too true! In fact the 405 is why I left Southern California in the 70s! LAs a great place to live, and don't get me wrong, I loved it down there especially all the beach areas. But traffic is just something that goes with the territory and I would just enjoy the experience and new challenges. My son drives from San Diego to USC in LA twice a week to go to school and we use that time to chat on the phone while the traffic drags along! You'll have a great time!
Woodland Hills is okay too, you can go right over Topanga Canyon to get to Santa Monica. Your gonna hit traffic either way, might as well make it a beautiful drive.