Paula, Other/Just Looking in Laguna Niguel, CA

What's the commute difference from Northern San Diego (zip code 92121) to Scripps Ranch and Carmel Valley?

Asked by Paula, Laguna Niguel, CA Sun Aug 29, 2010

I noticed that Scripps Ranch is only about 10-12 miles and Carmel Valley is about 8 miles, but how long is the commute during rush hour? Does 10 miles translate to 40 minutes commute time?
Thank you for your time.

Chad Basinger’s answer
Hi Paula,

That is a great link/map that Dan provided in his answer. As much as San Diego does live up to it's moniker of America's Finest City, there are some drawbacks to being such a desirable place to live...and traffic is one of them (and, yes I may be a little bias, but that could be the only drawback, but let's keep this a secret.) I hate to beat a dead horse, but the most important thing you can do is test out the commute at various times of the day, and even different days of the week. If you are planning on moving and going to be working at a company, reach out to some fellow employees to get their input. Another site you can check out is to monitor actual traffic patterns. Best of luck and we welcome you with open arms to sunny, San Diego!

Chad Basinger, REALTOR®, CPA, CFP®
Hi Paula ,
it is great you ask , as I was thinking yesterday when some where mentioning Poway and Sripps Ranch that it might be a bit of a drive whereas Carmel Vally or even University City are closer and great neighborhoods !!!

Let me knowif I can help you with anything !

Thank you
Nicole Pitteloud
Your Dedicated Realtor
Centrix USA

Multiply drive time by 3 or 4 during this time. Here is a great article about SD's bottlenecks.…
Web Reference:
Hi Paula,
Carmel Valley is much closer to Sorrento Valley. Carmel Valley is north of Sorrento Valley and commute doesn't take too long versus Scripps Ranch east of Sorrento Valley will take much longer and as Jeffery mentioned depends on the time of day you are traveling back and forth. Again it would be a good idea for you to drive back and forth to both area in different time day to get a feel for it.
Raana Jamshide
Century 21 Award
Paula, Many folks that work in Sorrento Valley area live in Carmel Valley. It is probably the nicest area that is close. Moving around San Diego County during high traffic times can be a challenge, so even if it sounds close depending on the traffic patterns and when you need to commute, it can be as much time as you indicated.

This is particularly true for commutes that go west to east since each route is heavily used and from 92121 you either have to go north or drop down south to catch an eastbound freeway. Going North on I5 can be very busy but commute times will be much less.

I would encourage you to try driving anything that you are considering to get the reality of the commute. I live in downtown San Diego and work up and down the coastal markets. A trip to Carmel Valley can take anywhere from 20 minutes to over an hour depending on the time of day.

Hope this helps, you can also check on Google Maps to see real time traffic results - this may give you some idea since you are not in the area.