Jek59, Home Buyer in Hoboken, NJ

What is the general car parking situation in Hoboken?

Asked by Jek59, Hoboken, NJ Mon Jul 12, 2010

Answers

4
Ron Simone Jr’s answer
Being in a town like hoboken know for shopping, eating, people walking aronund all day just to walk and enjoy a day parking can be a problem, and in hoboken its a big one. What do u expect when have the luxury of NY right across the water. It is a little bit easier on somedays to find parking up town than down town and there are many parking garages around if they have space ad you are wll to pay a couple hundred a month. On the otherhand depending what building you buy in if a condo is your preference some have spaces to rent or are deeded to the condo as apart of association fees. Hope gave you a little insight on what your looking forward.
Hello Jek, overall if you had to categorize the parking in Hoboken I would say its challenging. Residents street park over night for a few days and move them when its time for street cleaning. Newer buildings offer garage parking which is ideal and for those that don't there are parking garages located throughout the town and rent from 175 to 250 a month.
Truthfully, too many residents have cars and don't need them. Hoboken is a commuter friendly and pedestrian friendly town. You really don't need a car, so my advice to anyone moving here would be that if you don't need a vehicle to commute to work everyday then strongly consider not having one at all. You can travel by train, ferry, bus or foot. And if you ever do need a car, you can use a zipcar or sign up for the city's car sharing program.

I hope this is helpful! Have a great day.
Hoboken has a reputation of being a difficult city to park your car in. I like in uptown Hoboken and find the parking a little easier than in downtown Hoboken near the PATH.

In order to park on the street for long periods of time you will need a resident sticker on your car. This can be obtained through the Hoboken Parking Utility in City Hall. This sticker prevents non-residents from taking up a lot of street parking.

There are also a numher of parking garages where you can rent monthly parking. I rent garage parking for $200 a month near my condo. Here is a map of the area parking garages.

http://www.livingonthehudson.com/hobokenparking

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if you have any additional questions. I'll be happy to assist.

--
Walter J. Burns
Realtor-Associate
Weichert Realtors
Hoboken,
201-653-8488 Ext: 230
201-694-8946 Mobile
http://www.livingonthehudson.com
It depends on your neighborhood, I live very close to Washington St., which makes it difficult when I come and go to show property BUT I know what times are good for me and where to find a parking space at a given time. I rented a space once (tandem) and found that I didn't use it as I always found street parking closer than my space. Also the sweeper comes by once a week, if you don't need to move it often, you can just move it once for the sweeper.