First Time H…, Home Buyer in New Jersey

What is the commute from Denville NJ into NYC REALLY like?

Asked by First Time Home Buyer, New Jersey Sun Aug 11, 2013

I'm going to be commuting up to Columbia University Medical Center on the A train from NY Penn Station.
What is the fastest option to get to NY Penn as a commuter from Denville? Thanks

Answers

6
Fastest train from Denville to NY Penn is 70 min, fastest from Morris Plains to NY Penn is 60 min, and those are during peak hours (higher rates). Off peak will take longer (more stops). Parking at train stations may be a challenge, so if you can walk it's better. Here's the site for NJ Transit to check schedules (under Schedules & Fares, select Train): http://www.njtransit.com. You can pick up Lakeland Bus at Bloomfield Ave Park & Ride, which has a pretty large commuter parking lot: http://www.lakelandbus.com. You can drive via Route 80-280-95 to Lincoln Tunnel, which can be 35 min if you're off rush hour, then you have to park and Columbia U area can be a hassle to find a spot unless you have designated parking. Personally, I'd choose NJ Transit midtown direct route so you can at least read during commute. You'll get used to the best times to catch train on both ends and you can buy passes at commuter rates - same with subway. Good luck!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 12, 2013
Thank you for being one of the few here for providing an accurate assessment of the travel time between Denville and NYC.
Flag Thu Dec 5, 2013
Being a commuter from Morris county to Manhattan for fifteen plus years I found the mid-town direct from Morris Plains worked very well and reliable I found the drive easy to the train station but get there early enough to find a parking spot.
My personal preference is to travel by train - Midtown direct...The train is pretty stress free. As to the fastest option, I think it depends on time of day.
They are correct, about an hour by train. There is also the Lakeland bus that takes about an hour (or so), and you can drive in and that would also take an hour to three hours depending on traffic. Route 3 is a disaster due to 'Superbowl' construction and Route 80 getting into Denville through Parsippany is tough, but you get used to it! The bus is the least expensive way to go.
Many people travel from Denville into the city. I would say that it would be about an hour to get there depending in if you take the express train.

Melissa Silva
Weichert realtors- Morristown NJ
201-527-7313
Realestate.mel.s@gmail.com
Where are all of the people on this page getting an hour from? There isn't a single train from Denville to NY Penn Station that is an hour, the shortest is 72 minutes at the gruelingly early time of 6:04 am. On the way back there is ONE train, at 4:08 (and not many people can leave work this early) that is 62 minutes -- the rest are all 70+ minutes.

And, in my experience, these further-out stations very rarely run exactly on the time schedule they claim, only because there are so many stops in between. You'd be lucky to keep it under 80 minutes at any time each way.
Flag Thu Dec 5, 2013
It takes about 45 minutes to an hour, depending on whether or not you take an express train.
Why do all real estate agents paint a rosy picture for new home buyers moving to new area? 45min come on if you take a plane then yes... I won't believe anything from agents since there a conflict of interest. Best bet is to talk to commuters on the train, go to train station and talk to them in early morning who are waiting for their train or bus.
Flag Fri May 23, 2014
Nope. There isn't a single train under 72 minutes that goes from Denville to NY Penn Station. Just look at the train schedule, it's a simple matter of fact.
Flag Thu Dec 5, 2013