Lostinla, Other/Just Looking in Los Angeles, CA

What is the best place to live between Thousand Oaks and USC Health Sciences Center to minimize the commute?

Asked by Lostinla, Los Angeles, CA Tue Dec 14, 2010

Hello everybody! I wrote a month ago looking in to options between Thousand Oaks and UCLA. The equation appears to be changing now and my fiance will still be working at Thousand Oaks but I will be, most likely, at the USC health sciences campus in downtown LA. It looks like there are shuttles from Union Station to campus so we are seriously considering finding a place where he can drive and I can take either the metrolink commuter train or the metro rail. For the metrolink, I noticed that Chatsworth and Northridge are stations on the route and at a reasonable drive for my fiance to Thousand Oaks. The reviews for all the apartments in this area are terrible though! I also looked in to some places near North Hollywood, where there is the metro rail red line to Union station. But people warned of the smog and congestion here. Please give me any suggestions you have on - 1. good cities that will suit us both 2. method of commute 3. suggestions of rentals with good reviews. Thanks again!

Answers

11
Thanks all for your responses.

We have decided to look in to either - NoHo/Universal City/Studio City/Toluca Lake - in places close to the metro red line or Northridge/Chatsworth in places close to the Metrolink.

Since we don't plan on living in SoCal for more than 3-3.5 years, we decided to rent for now.

Do any of you deal with properties for rent under $2,200 (but ideally around $1,500) in any of these areas at a reasonable distance to either the metro or the metrolink?

Some other criteria are -

1. in a safe, quiet neighborhood
2. with washer and dryer
3. with parking for 2 cars
4. town home/apartment/condo is fine
5. if possibly, walking distance to train - if not, short drive

We are visiting next week and if you have any properties that fit these criteria, please send me links and I would love to set up a time to visit them.

Thanks again!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 28, 2010
Great pick! I am thrilled the Trulia community was able to help you weigh in! Check out our brand new commuter maps, they will also help for future travels: http://corp.truliablog.com/2012/06/22/commute-map/

Cheers,
Ali
Flag Tue Jul 10, 2012
Best bets - Sherman Oaks or Woodland Hills depending on your budget. Sherman Oaks is a nice area which was overbuilt in recent years so prices are pretty reasonable on condos - lease or purchase. Woodland Hills is a great area and centrally located. Both have access to the Metro.

You should select a single realtor to help you hone in on specifics - selection and execution. I would be happy to help.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 14, 2010
Depending on your power of purchase and your level of comforft there are quite a few places that could suit your needs. The metro subway line can also be easily accessed by bus (depending on which neighborhood your select. . Whoever warned you of smog and congestion is incorrect. Worse in area in Glendale or Burbank where it backs against the hillsides.
There are many neighborhoods, as I mentioned, that could meet your needs. However, are you planning on leasing, or buying. It is a great time for renters to acquire a property and more difficult (depending on your needs) to rent great residences. Please feel free to visit my website to learn more about myselt and my team or contact me with any questions or services that I can asist you with.
Web Reference: http://DonaldLinden.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 14, 2010
I think West Los Angeles is a good fit for the both of you, tons of transportation links and extremely close to USC. Plus the westside weather is very good, the commute from USC to Thousand Oaks is extremely congested daily, I would definitely recommend living more locally to the Westside and usually the public transportation systems to get you to Thousand Oaks, you will also save a lot of money on gas as it keeps going up! Feel free to search on my website for houses, condos, or apartments anytime.

Happy Holidays!
Heather Paul
Coldwell Banker
424-625-1037
Hi Lost In LA,

I think North Hollywood is so amazing. It has great public transportation, a thriving arts scene, great rents, and is a great compromise for USC and Thousand Oaks. Traffic is not bad and there is plenty of parking. It is also a very central location. I also have much management experience managing lofts and apartments there. I have lived there for many years and love it! Feel free to call me if you have any questions.

Andrew Demirchyan
Keller Williams Hollywood Hills
andrewsellsla@gmail.com
818-919-2018
Thanks for the responses! Is it odd that most apartments don't seem to have websites? This is very unlike apartments here - that all have detailed floor plans/pictures and other info online. I am not sure if I should write off some places that don't have websites - but that is about 50% of all!
Hey Los in LA,

Depending on your schedule for getting to Thousand Oaks you might have a better commute living closer in town and traveling against traffic to USC. My husband did the commute from Calabbassas to downtown and it was grueling. If you are thinking of living close to a station your best bet is to park and ride or ride a bike. Heck take a bike to the train so you can pedal to USC or Thousand Oaks from the train. I think Glendale might be a good option. Atwater. Burbank. North Hollywood. Highland Park. North Hollywood traffic is nothing compared to the city. I think smog will be just as bad in TO (Thousand Oaks) as North Hollywood. There are some great apartments in NoHO so as I write this post I am leaning towards North Hollywood as your best option.

Congrats on the engagement too!
Monique Carrabba
The Carrabba Group
Keller WIlliams Hollywood Hills
mcarrabba@kw.com
(323) 899-2900
mcarrabba@kw.com
Hi.
Studio City or Sherman Oaks should fit what you are asking for, however, a sleeper suggestion would be Toluca Lake... It is charming and has good walking areas... very neighborhoody... Good luck!
Richard "RJ" Kas (SFR, SRES)
"Representing the finest properties from Los Angeles worldwide"
KAS Properties - Coldwell Banker Previews International - Beverly Hills East
9388 Santa Monica Blvd, Beverly Hills, CA 90210
310.859-5334 office - 310.488.9826 mobile - 310-273-0670 fax ATT: RJ
RichardKas@gmail.com - http://www.RJforLA.com - DRE: 01352771
Sellers Buyers Investors Leasing Consulting
Thank you all for the information.... we would consider buying but it seems like it would be too much hassle to start off, with the big move and all...so may be in a year's time after we get settled in.Our criteria for renting are the following - in the order of priority

1. reasonable commute for both - train for me and driving for my fiance, or driving for both if relatively hassle free
2. one or two bedroom apartments - ideally under $1,600/month - with in apartment washer/dryer, parking for 2 cars
3. neighborhood/city that is safe and somewhat charming - not just the strip mall like areas

So we are looking in to three different areas -

1. the Northridge/Chatsworth/Woodland Hills area - I hear they satisfy 1 and 2 but not 3
2. the North Hollywood area - not sure how this equates to 2 and 3 but 1 should be satisfied
3. the Culver City/Santa Monica area - I'm guessing 3 will be satisfied but not 1 or 2 as much

Again, any thoughts would be much appreciated! I will certainly check out your websites!

Thanks again!
Hi Lost, I'm reading your request for information to be more interested in renting than owning. A city that you might focus on is Valley Glen. I would look into a home to lease versus an apartment. The commute to Thousand Oaks( Amgen) can be done via the 170fwy to the 118fwy to 23fwy to 101fwy to Amgen if that is where your partner will be working. The distance is longer but the traffic and driving time is better. An area near Valley College is very good and the intersection of Burbank and Fulton has an bus line connection that will take you to the red line hub. Contact me if you need more information.
Hi Lost, I remember you! I think anywhere along the Metro Red Line should work for you. The MetroLink (from Chatsworth or Northridge) is a bit more expensive and less frequent as I understood it. So that means Studio City or Sherman Oaks should work for you. I live in North Hollywood, and I don't know what smog and congestion they are talking about-- it's not worse than anywhere else in the Valley.

c.