Jane Greene, Other/Just Looking in Washington, AR

What is local transportation like in Delray Beach? Is it possible to get around without a car?

Asked by Jane Greene, Washington, AR Wed Aug 1, 2007

Answers

11
We will arrive at Fort Lauderdale Airport and then take a shuttle to the Tri Rail. We will then take the Tri Rail train to Delray Beach. At the Delray station we will take the trolley down Atlantic and then call the Downtowner (free taxi) to our condo. Will use bikes for two weeks and if necessary the downtowner and trolley. No car. Train is $5. Can't beat that!
Hi Jane,

Have you considered a golf cart? They are becoming very popular for local driving.

Good luck! - Claudia Fisher
It is possible if you are staying on or near Atlantic ave. They have open electric cars that can take you around for free all you need to do is Tip. If you are going to be on Atlantic and not traveling much you will probably not need a car. Recently rated one of the top 5 beach resorts in the Country. This is a great little area to visit.
Michael, good question. A car is recommended in south Florida since there is so much to see and do in the area. Many downtown residents of Delray Beach use street legal golf cars to get around the city. There is also a free golf cart taxi service that provides transportation for downtown residents from local restaurants, etc. Hope this helps! Travis
/what bus should I take from Lakes of DelRay blvd to down town of del ray. what time
I don't know what type of housing your looking for but my parents have a place in Lakes of Delray and they have a shuttle bus that travels down Atlantic regularly all the way down to the city center. You might also try calling the town hall for additional info. When I've visited I've taken the shuttle to downtown and the beach, sometimes it's alot easier than finding parking near Boston's.
Web Reference: http://www.medfordhouse.com
Mark Gingrich had some good information in his answer...
it is certainly a lot easier to get around with a car. Florida is hot and sticky so even if just for comfort, a car is desirable.
Delray Beach is a long narrow city stretching from the Ocean to the far West reaches in the county. The answer would depend on where you land. If you want to live East just off Atlantic Avenue there is plenty within walking distance - but a grocery store would be a little more difficult.

If you live west, you'll be closer to amenities like groceries, Target stores, etc but the distance between homes and such amenities will likely require transportation.

Buses are ok but the public transportation infrastructure in Palm Beach County isn't like NY/DC/Chicago

Some over 55 communities have shuttles to help people who don't drive that live there.

You could also consider looking to a more urban setting... CityPlace in West Palm Beach has all the amenities and you would hardly need a car... Boynton Beach has a new development where everything could be a walk called Renaissance Commons...

Boca Raton would be tougher but possible.
Hi, here is a link to the Delray Beach Bus Route.

http://pbcgov.com/palmtran/maps_schedules/rt81.htm

You can also look at more routes on this page. Below is another link to Downtowm Special Service. I hope these links help you. If you have more questions please call or email me.
It is difficult to navigate south Floria without a car. If you lived and worked in Delray, you could survive a short time without a car. The infrastructure just isn't built for public transportation in South Florida. I lived in Southern Calif for a few months without a car right out of college. While I survived with my bike, made it work everyday, I was quite thrilled when I could afford to get a car again. Delary would pose similar restrictions. It is a beautiful beach and a great strolling street, good food, shopping, etc. Staying in Delray for a few days and never having to get in a car sounds like a mighty fine idea!
Deborah Madey, Real Estate Pro in Brick, NJ
Perhaps a bike can get you around, or a motorcycle! Delray Beach is beautiful, historic, interesting and once you are downtown, walking and browsing is a "common sport" on Atlantic Avenue, in Pineapple Grove and side streets off Atlantic. The beach and ocean are fabulous. Learn more about Delray Beach if you click on the web reference.
South Florida is one place where you are going to ned a car. There are buses thet run east-west on the main roads but once you have walked about a block from there in 90 degree plus and 95% humidity, I wouldnt want to work at the desk next to you all day. There is Tri rail (train) which runs from West Palm to Miami. Again you will need to get to the station, and hopefully your office is right next to the destination. Cabs are super expensive also