Jen M, Other/Just Looking in 95816

What areas should I look at if I want an easy commute downtown using public transit?

Asked by Jen M, 95816 Sun Oct 28, 2007

Answers

3
Erin Stumpf’s answer
Hi Jen,

You can map a route from an area of town to a specific address downtown using http://infoweb.sacrt.com/. I agree with Stephanie and Jim; it is difficult to suggest specific areas without knowing more about what you are looking for in a home and your price range. The closer to downtown you get (East Sacramento, Land Park, Curtis Park, etc.), home prices climb. However if you live in an outlying area, prices tend to be more affordable. Different areas also represent different styles of living...

For example, if you are coming from Arden & Eastern - you could take Bus Line 29 at 7:13am in the morning, and be downtown at 7th & H Streets by 7:34am with no transfers. Within walking distance from Arden & Eastern, there are homes that range in price from $305,000 - $1,249,000.

You could try to "reverse" engineer this a bit too. Where downtown are you trying to commute? You could determine what the local bus line stops are, and backtrack what areas those lines stop in.

I hope this helps a little...if you post perhaps some of your home search criteria, we might be able to better assist you.
Web Reference: http://www.erinattardi.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 28, 2007
Erin Stumpf, Real Estate Pro in Sacramento, CA
Such an important question! Quality of life, work success and personal activites can be totally affected when you sit in traffic to and from work. I've always found taking transit to be a relaxing trip - let someone else drive while I read the newspaper or space out.

As a regular bus commuter, it's my automatic and natural response that the closer you are to downtown, the better the commute. However, many communities have bus service that is either direct to dntn or to a light rail station. Commuting in the late evenings can be difficult; if you're working nights and weekends, your commute timeline may be affected.

East Sacramento, Land Park, Curtis Park, River Park and South Land Park have direct bus lines. While Hollywood Park has light rail service. These are areas I've commuted to/from and the trips are relaxing and efficient.

If you break down your price range and home specifications (sq ft/yard side/home style & age), it's easier to identify what neighborhood fits your needs. Take a look at sacrt.com for more information.
Web Reference: http://sacrt.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 28, 2007
I have always found transfers to be one of the drawbacks to public transit. If I were looking for a home where I would be close to public transport,to avoid having to drive to work I would probably choose to be near a rail line station. There are three main light rail lines that spoke out of the downtown hub. one heads east to Folsom, it passes through Rosemont, and Rancho Cordova. Another line heads northeast towards North Sacramento (currently ending at North Watt Ave. A third line heads south parallelling Franklin Boulevard towards the Meadowview neighborhood.

Link to RT Map is below.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 28, 2007
Jim Walker, Real Estate Pro in Carmichael, CA