Manu, Home Buyer in Bergen, NY

Transportation issue in Mahwah

Asked by Manu, Bergen, NY Thu Mar 5, 2009

I have seen areal nice house in Mahwah that I think I could buy and it looks promising. However, I have at least two people who travel to New York city (mid town) and there seems to be no good service in the area. One has to walk 1.4 miles to get a bus or 3 miles to get a train. This is ruining my decision and I am very unhappy about the same. Is there a park and ride section for bus around Franklin turnpike close to Hilltop drive Airmont Ave. so that one can park their car there and ride. Please help???

Answers

7
There is good bus as well as train service from Mahwah.

I am aware of COACH buses available from the following locations:
1. Junction of Masonicus Rd-Airmount Ave (near Paddington Square)
2. Franklin Tpke & Hilltop Rd. Buses also stop at Franklin Tpke near Mahwah train station.

It takes around 45-60 min to reach NY-Port Authority.

NJ-Transit train service takes around the same time (via Secaucus transfer (North-East corridor) or Hoboken transfer (PATH or ferry)) to reach NYC. Also, since the trains run on the Main-Bergen line, they are available throughout the day in both directions, unlike some other train lines like the Pascack valley line.

Depending on where you buy your house in Mahwah, you could take the train from Ramsey Rt 17 station (where many express trains stop), Mahwah station, Suffern Station or even Ramsey Main St station.

Mahwah station offers FREE PARKING for Mahwah residents. You need to get stickers from the Municipal office to affix to your car window in order to be eligible for free parking.

I hope this information is helpful for you to make a decision to buy a house in this lovely town.
There are many ways to commute into NYC. You can park and walk to Franklin Turnpike to get the bus into New York. There is a train right on RT 17 South that has a parking deck and trains. There is a place to park in Mahwah near the Mahwah train station --- there hop the train or take the bus on Franklin Turnpike. My husband and I did all of the above AND we also drove to the park and ride in Paramus --- not far away on Rt. 17. AND, don't forget RAMSEY. There are many options. See http://www.NJTransit.com for detailed schedules for the bus and the trains.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 5, 2009
Thanks Pam. I have your contact and touch base with you if needed. Many Thanks.
Manu
Hopefully, the NJ Transit site will help you with your decision. If you are almost ready to buy...now is the time to do so since interest rates are at the lowest they have been in well over 20 years, homes are priced to sell and there are a selection to chose from. That said, homes that are priced well --- are selling. Some buyers I am working with are surprised at how quickly they are selling. Remember, if you like the home, price and location --- chances are --- someone else does as well. If you are not working with a LOCAL agent --- I am happy to help. All the best with your new home choice.
Hi Pam
I looked at the NJ transit schedule. Apparantely, the only buses in the area are Coach USA (Leisure Line) and then there is NJ transit train. I think I like the idea of parking at Mahwah train station and taking a bus on franklin (I understand that the station is on or very close to franklin). I also found that we will need a permit from county (for about $50) to park at Mahwah train station.

Also, we have not yet offered but are very close to making a decision. Transportation is the only factor that is holding us from bidding. Transportation is very important as it is an everyday affair for the members in the family.

Many thanks.
Manu
Hello... I provided a link to New Jersey transit. On the site it gives you all the bus and train info --- where you can park, from which station AND gives you the fairs for both the train and/or bus. I thought you had said you wanted info from Mahwah...there are more bus areas than Franklin Turnpike but gave you the info based on your note above. Click on the NJ transit site and you can key in your preferences and it will give you all the details. http://www.njtransit.com . I hope this helps! ;)

ps --- did you make an offer on the house?
In other words, one will need to go to Ramsey, mahwah or Route 17 train stations to catch the train. There is no parking by the Airmount Dr. to wlak down to Franklina nd get a bus.

Also, any idea what it would cost to park at these train stations. I truly apprecaite your reply.