Bc Homebuyer, Home Buyer in New Milford, NJ

Train noise near River Edge Train Station.

Asked by Bc Homebuyer, New Milford, NJ Thu Sep 25, 2008

Thank you for responses to my earlier question about the flooding. Now I need to your opinions on the noise level due the trains passing by. The realtor tells me its just a commuter train and unlike freight trains does not blow horns or make excessive noise. Is that true? I especially want to know about noise during late nights and early mornings. Can you keep you windows open and still get undisturbed sleep? Any inputs would be appreciated. Thanks again for your help.

Answers

2
You first might want to check with New Jersey Transit to get the train schedule to see what times it comes by and whether it actually makes stops late at night. My understanding is that it is a commuter train. Again, New Jersey Transit is your best unbiased source for information regarding train schedules. and yes you should see (hear!) for yourself..everyone does have different hearing!
If i can be of any further help I'm an 18 yr local realtor.
Wendy W. Dessanti, Weichert
Tenafly Office
wendydess@aol.com
You really know that the best way to second check that is to camp out close by and witness one or two of these trains passing through at those time intervals. On a personal note though, I grew up overseas living across the street from a busy train track that included freight trains at night as well. I noticed that within a very short time I learned to completely ignore trains passing by and treat them as background noise. The only time I ever woke up late at night because of a train was when either oil or ammunition trains (which are disproportionately heavy) would come by. Anything else I would not even notice anymore, even when awake. The mind apparently is amazing when it comes to adapting to new surroundings :-)

Hope this helps,

Jacobus "Jack" Vollenberg
RE Appraiser/RE Sales Associate
Vollenberg Appraisers/ERA Statewide Realty
Vollenberg@iname.com