Marjorie, Other/Just Looking in New York, NY

Public transportation from NYC to Parsippany, NJ

Asked by Marjorie, New York, NY Thu Feb 2, 2012

Have job opportunity in Parsippany. I live in Manhattan. No car. Is public transport doable?
Thanks.

Answers

9
Coreen’s answer
Marjorie, I have the same question. Have you figured out the best way to commute from NYC to Parsippany via public transportation? I've heard of the LakeLand Bus, but was wondering if you've actually taken it.
Hi Marjorie!

If you are "carless", the bus is your only option, as it will require a car to get to any of the nearby train stations.

The bus you can take is with the Lakeland Bus company from Port Authority, with several stops in Parsippany. The trip is a direct trip.
There is no need to go to Willowbrook Mall and take another bus.

http://www.LakelandBus.com

(973) 366-0600

The most convenient place to get the bus when in Parsippany is from Rt 46, on the corner of Rt 46 and North Beverwyck Rd.
There are other stops, too, so you can call and find out what is the most convenient stop based on where you will be working.
The ride is about 40-45 min.. .
The schedule at the end of the day runs about once an hour.

There are many commuters, so you will have lots of company!

Actually, if you are commuting FROM Manhattan TO Parsippany in the morning, your ride should be easier, as the bulk of the morning commute will be going INTO the city, not out of it!.

Best wishes.!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 2, 2012
I live in Parsippany. my job is in Totowa.no car.is public transportation is available.my time is 10.30 am to 7.30 pm
Hey Marjorie!!
my husband just got a job in Parsipany and now wondering where to live. Id love to stay in Manhattan, but we don't have a car either. And weighing our options. Did you figure out the commute? Id love to know how its been for you!!! I'd greatly appreciate your help and opinion on the matter!!!
Marjorie - thanks for the "best answer" - good luck with whatever decision you make!

PS
to those who mentioned using the train....the poster said she doesn't have a CAR, and needs to commute to and from to Parsippany without one. Any train would require driving to the station, as there are no trains in walking distance to Parsippany (and we don't even know where in Parsippany the job is!).
TYou options also include the NJ Transit trains.
Denville has a great train station with down town direct service.
There are also stations in Mountain Lakes, Montville, Lincoln Park and Wayne
Most of express transportation cater to Manhattan-bound commuters and only operate during rush hours in those directions. In your case, you choice will be (according to NJ Transit site) to take from PORT AUTHORITY BUS TERMINAL bus No 198 toward WAYNE WM PATERSON U WILLOWBROOK & WAYNE TRN CTR (30min). There, get off of the WILLOWBROOK MALL SHOPPERS STOP and take bus No 871 toward MORRISTOWN VIA BOONTON. From there, you still need to get to Parsippany.

I don't believe you have a choice here - and will have to get a car
Web Reference: http://www.njtransit.com
Hi Marjorie,

Congrats to you on your new job opportunity. Depending on which part of Parsippany you relocate to, there is a bus that travels to the Port Authority from there and the midtown direct train to Penn Station that stops in Morris Plains which is located within the vicinity.
If I can be of further assistance in your relocation, please let me know.

Hi marjorie,

Yes, certainly, public transit and mass transit are available easily. Even the surrounding towns offer this service to NYC.