Nim, Renter in San Francisco, CA

My husband and I live in SF (near dolores park), and I work in Sausalito, but my husband will work in Palo Alto soon. Where should we live?

Asked by Nim, San Francisco, CA Tue Jan 10, 2012

My husband wants to move to San Mateo, but I heard the commute from San Mateo to Sausalito will be awful. We also have a baby on the way, and to upgrade to a 2 bedroom apt.

Answers

2
Katie Daire’s answer
Agree that San Mateo to Sausalito could be a pretty rough daily commute. Think I'd try to stay in SF for a bit and see how it goes.

I drove from Upper Noe Valley to work in Palo Alto for a year, and it was totally manageable. Our apt was less than 5 minutes from 280 S entrance, and if I left a bit before 8AM, would get to work in about 40 minutes. Leaving after then was a bit rougher, though.

Eric mentioned Burlingame. I did Burlingame to Palo Alto for a year before that, and I loved living there. Took about 30 minutes to get to Palo Alto (had to go through Hillsborough), but imagine the commute from there to Sausalito would be only about 5-10 mins shorter than if living in San Mateo.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 11, 2012
If you wanted to split the commute between you two, the middle ground would be San Francisco proper.

San Mateo
Yes, this commute to Sausalito will be long, especially given you have to drive through the city to get to Marin. However, this is a convenient spot if you work in Palo Alto.

San Francisco Proper
This is the most neutral from a commute standpoint. The downside is that raising a small child in most neighborhoods can be challenging given the space. If you were able to get a property in Bernal Heights, Noe Valley, or a similar neighborhood, that would be easier.

Other areas to consider:

Burlingame is quite nice, family oriented, real estate is expensive, but will maintain it's value because of it's location.

East Bay has a few spots that would be suitable for a family and would be an easy commute to Palo Alto, but not for San Mateo.