Amanda Klein, Home Buyer in Ridgefield, CT

Looking for the perfect town to move to with a commute that isn't too long to NYC. We're thinking Ridgefield, Brewster, Bethel....any?

Asked by Amanda Klein, Ridgefield, CT Tue Feb 7, 2012

thoughts? My husband and I are looking to relocate our family. We currently live in Hoboken, NJ, however, we would like to be closer to my parents, who live in Litchfield County, CT. My husband doesn't go to NYC every day, but he doesn't want to the commute to be very long, just the same. We are considering Ridgefield, Bethel, and Brewster, NY. I am concerned about the taxes in NY, but worried about the home prices in CT. Our budget is 500,000. Any info would be very helpful!

Answers

19
Jay Cooke’s answer
Hi Amanda,

Don't know if you are still following the answers but I love the feedback from folks who have bought here. Last Sunday I was showing in Ridgefield to folks coming in from Europe. The owner of the house we were looking at stopped to chat (they are moving to LA). She just raved about the town and schools to my client.

I always suggest stopping to talk with folks who live in the area. They will usually give you an honest picture. If you stop and ask folks who live in Ridgefield how they like the town, most will rank it very highly.

Jay Cooke
Average price per square foot for Ridgefield CT was $257, an increase of 4% compared to the same period last year. The median sales price for homes in Ridgefield CT for May 14 to Aug 14 was $647,400 based on 114 home sales. Compared to the same period one year ago, the median home sales price decreased 1.2%, or $7,600, and the number of home sales decreased 14.3%. There are currently 300 resale and new homes in Ridgefield on Trulia, including 39 homes in the pre-foreclosure, auction, or bank-owned stages of the foreclosure process. The average listing price for homes for sale in Ridgefield CT was $1,065,528 for the week ending Aug 13, which represents a decrease of 0.5%, or $5,053, compared to the prior week.
well, considering this question was asked a year ago, I doubt anyone is calling anyone for help now!
Hi Amanda,

I responded a short while ago but had not been able to see your entire comment.
I use to live at the Galaxy in Guttenberg back in the 90's and moved to Weston ,Ct for various reasons including the fantastic school system and country setting but still close enough for my husband to commute to NYC. My suggestion is any town on the coast up to Fairfield and any town up to Weston and Wilton . In my opinion anything north of those towns will be too long a commute. If you choose a town on the coast the metro north runs frequently vs. if you take the Danbury line which is not as frequent and slower. Since the downturn in real estate you'll be able to get a home in your budget in some of these towns - Fairfield , Norwalk and Stamford are more affordable and you'll find a larger inventory to choose from in your price range but it's not out of the question to possibly find a property in some of the other pricer towns. Hope this helps. Feel free to contact me for further information.
Ridgefield, New Fairfield, Sherman, Bethel and Brookfield are good options. It is easiest to take the Harlem line train from areas like New Fairfield, Sherman and Ridgefield. Both my husband and I did it from New Fairfield for years (he still does it). Parts of Brookfield will be easier than Bethel (most of Bethel is an additional 15 - 20 minutes to the Harlem train). You can take the bethel stop train, but it's going to be longer than the Harlem. There are many ways to get into the city on various trains, but inevitably it will take about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. On another subject there are Many homes to choose from in your price range. You will be able to buy a larger home in NF and a smaller home in Ridgefield. Taxes will be lower in Ct (significantly).
Where in NYC ? Downtown or midtown? Ridgefield might be too far and Bethel too. There are other towns that might be a better commute . If you need additional information give me a call.
Ridgefield is a very homey town with many friendly people. The schooling although, is best in CT.
If you plan on obtaining a mortgage and need pre-approval please do not hesitate contacting me as I can be of assistance being that I work with 30+ lenders.

Paul Marzolla
(201) 203-2266
pmarzolla@unvmortgage.com
Ridgefield has plenty of homes in your price range and it's a fantastic town to raise a family - tons of parks and recreation, amazing schools and lake communities. The commute from Goldens Bridge, Purdy's or Katonah none of which are more than 15mins drive away is an hour to 1hr 10, with tons of trains into Grand Central. Brewster is further and Bethel not so easy for train options. Ridgefield would be a great choice for you too as Litchfield County is an easy ride away. Taxes on a house in the 500k range would be in the 8k range depending on the size of your property.
Hi Amanda,

You are on the right track chosing the CT towns of Ridgefield and Bethel although I worry that you will find the commute from Bethel too long and tedious on a daily basis. Please visit my website janetullo@neumannrealestate.com to see a virtual tour of Ridgefield. Yes, there are wonderful homes priced at your prrce point with taxes lower than comparables in neighboring NY. Taxes are a huge consideration.

I would love to connect you to homes for sale and coming on the market.
Connecticut is a better buy for 2 reasons; resale and taxes. Another reason is more personal to me; the sense of community in each town. Ridgefield is a most beautiful town but the prices are higher. Bethel, Danbury, New Fairfield are more affordable and with the prices in the market today you can find a lovley home in your price range.

Fran Blackwell
William Pitt Sotheby International Realty - 203-770-7599
Depending on what you are looking for, $500,000 would buy you a very nice home in Bethel and a nice house in Ridgefield. As you know we are only 1 hr away from Litchfield,CT. If your parents live south of Litchfield then it would take you less time. Feel free to call me at 203-731-7722 if you would like to speak with me.
I moved from Ridgewood, nj to tarrytown, ny and finally settled in New Fairfield, ct. My husband goes to the city every day. Yes, it is about 2 hours door to door (must pay for parking at train station and walk to work, etc. and it adds up). However, we feel the tradeoff is incredible. We have space, views and still get into the city whenever. Ridgefield feels like Ridgewood to me...I love the cute main street feel. Bethel also has a main street feel, but slightly more country. Redding, New Fairfield and Sherman are more remote, but great communities nonetheless. Brookfield and Danbury has a little more urban feel to it with route 7 and Federal Road...lots of stores like route 17 in Jersey. School digger.com ranks the schools -if you need that info. You will find plenty of opportunities for homes in the $500k range...just depends on what you expect for that. Lots of home?...maybe Ridgefield will have a smaller selection. You have many options. I am also a realtor and would love to help you and your family. Feel free to send me an email or call me if you would like to discuss this further.
Vonnie Aurigemma
William Pitt Sotheby's international realty
Vaurigemma@wpsir.com
203.300.4599
Hello Amanda,

Since you're looking for a commute similar to the one you have in Hoboken to NYC, I recommend you first check out the Metro North Railroad map at http://mta.info/mnr/html/mnrmap.htm where you can see station names and estimate their relative distance from NYC. If your husband plans to commute by car you can use http://www.freemaptools.com/radius-around-point.htm to get "as the crow flies" distances from any zip code you specify.

Once you have narrowed down the radius you wish to consider just go to Halstead's website for video tours of towns of interest and search for properties in your budget. If we can be of further assistance please don't hesitate to contact me, or stop into your neighborhood Halstead office.

Samuel Gabe
Halstead Property
Licensed Realtor®
Halstead Property Connecticut, LLC
671 Post Road, Darien, CT 06820
t: 203.656.6518 | c: 203.856.8399 | f: 203.702.5088
sgabe@halstead.com I halstead.com
Web Reference: http://www.halstead.com
typo...our website is http://www.vanderblue.com
Web Reference: http://vanderblue.com
Hi Amanda,
You are right...NY taxes are high. I have family in Brewster and Bethel so I am very familiar with both areas. Have you considered Fairfield? Currently there are a lot of great homes in your price range...the commute is great (we have 2 train stations and very accessible by I-95 and the Merritt Parkway), there are many different areas in Fairfield...all very charming, and we have GREAT school system! Fairfield is about 1 hour from Litchfield and NYC and about 15 minutes from Ridgefield.

If interested, check out listingbook - shoshanasnyder.listingbook.com ...it is a great tool that allows you to search the MLS like a REALTOR. Also, check out our website.. http://.www.vanderblue.com. We have a very unique Team and by combining our knowledge and skill sets, we are able to provide our Clients with exceptional service!

If you have any questions or interested in coming for a visit, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best of Luck,

Shoshana Snyder
The Vanderblue Team/Higgins Group
203.321.3502
shoshana@vanderblueteam.com
Hi Amanda - I am a licensed Realtor here in Connecticut. I would be delighted to help you and your family find a home. Please give me a call or send me an email so I can answer any questions you have. Regards, Phyllis 203 9766-7772 ext 319 or phyllis@realty-guild.com
Hi Amanda,

I've love living in Ridgefield. We've been here since 1984 and I've been selling real estate here since 1990. We have a great community, top schools and a great selection of homes for your consideration. I also cover Danbury and Bethel and would be happy to help you explore those communities too. Give me a call.
Sharon Greene
RE/MAX Enterprise
203-733-1187
Web Reference: http://use.listingbook.com
Hi Amanda,

We have an home in Ridgefield and love the town. We knew from the moment we drove down Main Street that this was where we wanted to live. We looked at New York but refused to pay that level of real estate taxes.

If you wish to contact me with your needs and criteria, I will be happy to assist you in the search.
Jay Cooke - jcookerealtor@sbcglobal.net.