Caterina, Both Buyer and Seller in Somerset County, NJ

Looking for a house that is a half hr from staten island and spending no more than $750k. How is the commute into NYC from somerset and vice versa.?

Asked by Caterina, Somerset County, NJ Tue Sep 6, 2011

Answers

5
Hi Caterina

I am an agent in Monmouth County and my recommendation for you would be Marlboro, NJ. It is exit 123 off the parkway and very convenient to Staten Island and commuting to NYC. Marlboro has so much to offer including one of the best school systems, desirable communities, convenient to NYC, SI, Phil, beaches, malls etc... A few years ago you would only get an average home for $750/K in Marlboro but now with the drop in home prices you can get a luxury home in this price range and below. Please take a look at my website: http://www.alltopmarlborohomes.com and feel free to email or contact me. Sincerely, Melissa DeSantis - mdesantis@melissadesantis.com; 732-757-2522; http://www.melissadesantis.com.
Best of luck wherever you decide to go!!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 6, 2011
Caterina

I lived in Brooklyn until 1983. Came to this area (Edison) because the commute to the city via train for my husband was better than subways from Brooklyn, and the area is also close to the Garden State, Turmpike, Rt 285, Rt 1 etc. I still have many friends in SI and it takes me about 20 minutes to get to Bloomingdale Rd area, and slightly more to get to Victory Blvd (near the Goethals bridge entrance of the expressway)

From my door to Rt 287 is about 7 minutes and then to the Outerbridge is about 8 minutes (with no traffic.) I worked in Staten Island on Forest Ave for 3 years and the total commute was about 25-30 minutes.

Certain areas in Somerset are closer to Rt 287 with takes you to 440 to the Outerbridge, or you can get the NJ Turnpike from Rt 287 to take to the Goethals, depending on where you need to get to in SI.

There are many places I service where you can get a lovely home in the $600-750K range that have easy access to getting to SI. I would be more than happy to help you out. Feel free to give me a call or email me and we can discuss your needs in more detail. Look forward to hearing from you.

Mary Petti
908-675-0167
PruMaryNJ@aol.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 6, 2011
Hi Caterina,

Somerset County can be a tough commute to NYC, Yes, a lot of people do it.. But what a drag.
But, it all depends on your wants and needs.. From schools to commute time.. as in what time do you need to commute? Early morning either way.. Driving.. is a nightmare. This would be a train area.. and if you need to go to Staten island.. After 9:00 a.m. and before 5:00 would be good.

I looked out there also when I moved from Brooklyn and tried the commute with a friend and If I had to do it I would have just as well moved to Long Island as the train commute I hated just as much.

The reason I moved to E. Brunswick was the great bus commute.. it was a pleasure and as I understand it still is. The commute to Staten Island is a breeze.. like a 20 -25 mintue breeze. The whole "western NJ" thing was not going to work for me.. but hey.. just my opinion.

It comes down what you want and needs.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 6, 2011
Hi I am a Broker in Somerset and worked in NYC for over twenty years prior to Real Estate.
If you drive, depending on traffic, you could get to statin Island between 30 - 45 minutes via RTE.287.
There is also bus and train service. Bus: park & Ride at Stop & Shop on Easton AVE. and Train in NEW BRUNSWICK.
Caterina,

Somerset would be a great fit for you. Lovely homes and an easy trip to Staten Island via 287 to 440. Give me a call or send me an email, I would be happy to provide additional information.

732-331-5389 or nina.jordan2@gmail.com
Web Reference: http://Njsellsnj.com