Emily Erekuff, Home Owner in Menifee, CA

Is it feasible to own a car in the city? Will I be able to find parking without a big hassle?

Asked by Emily Erekuff, Menifee, CA Thu May 3, 2007

Answers

7
It is feasible but not practical. Like Pierre said it depends on your lifestyle. I gave up my car about 20 years ago for the same reason Pierre mentioned. I was living in a brownstone so I had to get up at 5 am to switch the side of the street I was parked on before the street cleaners. One day while half a sleep waiting for a spot on the other side of the street a taxi hit me. I sold the car right after that. I only used the car to leave the city not to get to and from work. Now I rent a car when I need one. Many people do have cars in the city. I currently have a listing on East 24th St. It is a 1 bedroom in New York Towers. The building is a coop that has an indoor parking garage for residents for only $250 per month. The property is listed on Trulia below is a link.
Mitchell Hall, Real Estate Pro in New York, NY
Mayor Bloomberg’s plan for what he calls “congestion pricing” would impose fees of up to $8 a day for cars and $21 a day for trucks driving below 86th Street between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m. on weekdays. This new toll will make it even more expensive to own a car in Manhattan below 86th Street if you plan on using it during the week between 6 a.m. and 6.pm.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg has proposed "congestion pricing"
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 8, 2007
Oh man! Good question. The real answer is: It depends on your lifestyle and your wallet. If you will rarely drive out of the city to the countryside, beaches, etc, then you do not need a car and can rent one when you do. However, if you NEED a car - lord knows why - Manhattan is not the place to be, you may want to consider living in an outer borough. Why? Well parking in Manhattan is quite expensive, the monthly fee for most lots in the city START at $350-$450/month. Tack on insurance, city mileage, wear and tear from potholes and parallel parking scrapes and life with a car in Manhattan is horrible. take this from someone who had 2 cars in Manhattan - one in a lot and one I used to move from side to side on street cleaning days - HORRIBLE! They clean the streets like every other day in manhattan so you can spend 1-2 hours a day trying to find a spot, easily. The Mass Transit system is great in NYC, Bus, Train, LIRR, Metro North, Taxi's, etc...from JFK, to the beaches, you really don't NEED a car. Now I live in Brooklyn, I have a driveway for 2 cars, 1,300 sq ft apartment, and the N or F 5 blocks in either direction, 40 minutes into manhattan....the good life I say. Link below to all public transportation maps in NYC.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri May 4, 2007
This is one of the only places in the USA where you can walk by otherwise normal elderly people on the sidewalk who have never driven a car or had a drivers license. Theres a really good reason for that.
I can certainly agree with everybody that owning a car is not cost effective. Parking spaces in Manhattan are selling at prices well over 100K.
Most New Yorkers living in Manhattan do not own cars. It's not cost effective--a garage is like extra rent, plus the cost of insurance is very high. Parking is dreadful. BUT... if you live in the outer boroughs---Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island or The Bronx---it is feasible and necessary to have a car.
No way - parking in the city is a huge hassle and not worth it unless you have some kind of paid parking solution (sure to cost you a mint) that doesn't require you to drive around every day looking for another spot.