Sue, Home Buyer in Mill Valley, CA

Interested in house along Hwy 1 in Tam Valley. Should I be concerned about frequent heavy traffic (to/from house) due to Stinson/Hiking?

Asked by Sue, Mill Valley, CA Sun Jan 15, 2012

My husband is very concerned about running errands/easily leaving house particularly on weekends. What should we be prepared for with regard to Highway1 traffic?

Answers

8
Hi Sue,
I have also sold many homes on Shoreline and off of Shoreline in Tam Valley - and used to live on Shoreline Hwy. for a short while. I really enjoyed living there but yes, traffic can be an issue - esp. on the weekends and sunny days, but there are alternate routes to take to mitigate the problem. If you google the area and look at the routes, you could probably see the various backroads off Marin Ave. and/or Loring.

The benefits to living in that area are that you are closer to SF, 101, the beaches, Muir Woods and great hiking.
Prices are a bit less per sq ft than say downtown Mill Valley, Middle Ridge, and other areas. Resales are usually more days on market in general, esp. if the addresss is Shoreline, so pls. consider the overal picture when you decide.
Madeline Schaider
The traffice could be bad on the weekend when the weather is good so people use Highway 1 to go to beach or etc... other wise is not bad. The home right on Shoreline takes much longer to sell and not that much interest try to stay away from the main road.
Getting around traffic is not really that bad. There are some times like summer weekends and a really good beach day. The noice is the real issue. Ogi, is right, homes have a much harder time selling. The pricing reflects this. My advise, look at homes off shoreline, it is a great place to live for the value, access to trails, proximity to the hwy and the beach. Home appreciation will be better if your home is not right on the hwy. Good luck!
Sue,

If it were me I'd be very concerned about this aspect of living there. Best thing you can do is check it out for yourself at different times of the day, especially those you anticipate having to run around, both weekday and weekend days. That should give you an idea of what you are in for.

Lance King/Owner-Managing Broker
lance@fixedrateproperties.com
415.722.5549
DRE# 01384425
Sue,

Owning a home along HWY 1 is definitely a challenge. I grew up in Tam Valley and still travel this road often. The traffic has gotten a little worse every year and it will probably not get any better in the future. It's even a bigger concern if and when you have children. The price you offer for such a location should reflect this drawback.

Current Mill Valley Listings:

http://www.mlsfinder.com/ca_bareis/oggikashi/index.cfm?actio…

Oggi Kashi
Broker Associate, Paragon Real Estate Group CA DRE 01844627
All data from sources deemed reliable but subject to errors and omissions, and not warranted.
Web Reference: http://www.oggikashi.com
Hi Sue, I used to live in that neighborhood where I would have to join Highway 1 at Northern Avenue. Weekends are busy in the summer. The rest of the week it is like normal road, less busy than making a turn onto East Blithedale for example. If you are turning right onto the main road from your house during the weekend rush, then you can find gaps. If you need to turn left you may have to make a right turn first and then a left/left and loop round.
What is your visibility like as you join the main road? Some of the corners are a little sharp so you should make sure you are comfortable with that.
Good luck and hope this helps!

Rachel
rpercival@apr.com
415 933 7681
Shoreline highway (CA 1) is a popular road and a major road through Mill Valley. I would suggest you go during different times of the day both during the week and weekends. It can definitely be quite busy during the weekends with cars, motorcycles and cyclist heading for Tam, Stinson, Muir Beach, hiking trails etc... It is always a good idea to check out the traffic patterns that would coincide with your own commute schedule wherever you decide to live. These are some of the prices we gladly pay to live in one of the best cities in California, Mill Valley.

If I can be of assistance to you in your decision purchase or just need more information about the area, call, text or email me at dan.nebenzahl@cbnorcal.com or my cell 415.497.8864
Hi Sue,
I also live along Hwy 1 in Tam Valley and those of us who live here have ways of getting around without competing with Stinson, Muir Woods/Beach, Mt. Tam traffic. But, I hesitate going public with our tricks ... this is the Internet after all. Please feel free to contact me privately, Amy@SweetHomeMarin.com.