Stephanie, Other/Just Looking in San Francisco, CA

I want to work on Capitol Hill and live in Foggy Bottom. How difficult is the commute?

Asked by Stephanie, San Francisco, CA Fri May 4, 2007

Answers

5
You can take a morning walk to work. It's about 2 miles. Or, you can take the Metro from Foggy Bottom to Union Station. Not a bad commute at all.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri May 25, 2007
Hey Stephanie,

It depends on if you go to work for the Senate or House of Reps.

I worked in the Senate for 8 years and my husband currently works for the House. The Red Line comes closest to the Senate side, at Union Station (also where the MARC and VRE commuter lines come into DC). The Orange Line will drop you right at the back door of the Cannon Building on the House side. From Foggy Bottom, if you need to change lines, it's easy to do at either Metro Center or Gallery Place. If you are going to work at the Supreme Court or the Library of Congress, it's six of one, half a dozen of the other which line you use, because they are both in the middle between the House and Senate, as is the Capitol building itself.

Either way you look at it, though, a commute from Foggy Bottom is pretty quick on Metro. ALSO, as a federal employee, thanks to Obama, your commute on the metro line will be paid for, up to $200 a month. You could also bike to work, if you are so inclined, as it is only about 2 miles from Foggy Bottom. It is uphill (to Capitol Hill), but it is a gentle incline and you hardly notice it until you are almost to the Capitol.

My company's website has a great search engine that allows you to look at the neighborhood's via map at street level and shows you what properties are available on the map by a little green house icon. Hover over the icon and a small pop-out shows a photo, address, price, BR, BA - click on it and a full listing opens. Our website is http://www.kangalrealestate.com - click on Property Search.

Feel free to drop me a line if you are planning to come to town and want to go house shopping or familiarize yourself with Capitol Hill. If it's not a terribly busy day in Congress or with his committee, my husband could possibly give you a private tour.

Good luck with the potential new job!!

Kelly Putz
Realtor®
DC/MD/VA
Kangal Real Estate
kputz@kangalre.com
703-961-8663
301-834-6873
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 10, 2009
Dear Stephanie,
The metro via the blue/orange line is the best . Go to http://www.metroopensdoors.com and you plan your route - this site will also tell you about bus routes. If driving, take 395 to Maine Avenue, turn right at the WWII memorial, and left on Constitution (prohibited at rush hour, so you have to go up a block and make the left on C and take Virginia Ave) and then make a right on 23rd street. 25-40 minutes depending on traffic.
Riding the metro is very cool. Especially on the weekends. You are not dealing with the early birds rushing to work.
I lived in the DC area for almost 20 years and now that I am in Cleveland I am pushing for more and more light rail. I was spoiled in DC! Your commute should be a pleasure, the system is punctual and fast.