Trulia Austin, Home Buyer in Austin, TX

How is the traffic in Austin?

Asked by Trulia Austin, Austin, TX Wed Oct 17, 2012

Is there a significant rush-hour? And if so, where are the best places to stay away from the traffic jams it causes?

Answers

8
Yes, Austin has significant rush hour on all of it major streets, mainly Interstate 35, US183 , Loop 360 and Mopac(Loop 1). The only good thing right now is the rush hour doesn't last as long as other major cities. Typically rush hour gets very congested between 7:30am - 9am in the morning, and 4:30pm - 6:30pm in the afternoon. It's very difficult to maneuver around the traffic jams, because the way the city has been developed with residential homes. One can expect to be in rush hour typically between 30 to 50 minutes, hopefully without any accidents(then it's up in the air how long it may take). Austin never really planned the streets for the explosive growth that has taken place since the 90's.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 18, 2012
Honestly, there is a significant rush hour in Austin. Any major route you take is going to cause delays. The worst is I-35, but still you are going to have a longer commute than google maps says if you leave between 4PM and 7PM, or between 8AM and 9AM. Probably not what you were looking to hear but that is what we are seeing.
Austin traffic is moderate compared to other large cities without mass transit.
The big secret to Austin traffic is to stay off the freeways during rush hour. Learn the back roads and through streets. I-35, Mopac (loop 1), 183, 290, 360 can all be a nightmare during rush hour. Live central like me. I only get on the freeways when I'm leaving town or there is no traffic.
Compared to larger cities like Dallas, it's not too incredibly bad. You'll usually only be in traffic as you pass the city but it can be pretty slow during rush hour or accidents. Take Mopac (Highway 1) instead of 35 when driving North to South. 35 is pretty much always at least a little congested because so many people use it.
The main traffic times are when the school buses are running. The most congested areas are around those major thoroughfares, especially where they have to cross the river, Lady Bird Lake.
"Places to stay away from"
that would by STREETS and HIGHWAYS!