Peter, Other/Just Looking in San Francisco Bay Area

How is the commute to LA from here?

Asked by Peter, San Francisco Bay Area Wed May 9, 2007

Answers

16
There are car pools also that helps in the express (diamond ) lane. There is also Park and Ride Bus service and Metro trains. Most people drive alone so there is your tie-ups. Some of the freeways have monitors alerting drivers of estimated time of arrivals at destinations in LA.
Best Wishes,
Diane Geraud
Realtor-GRI
Windem Real Estate
Direct: 714/396-5955
not reasonable, unless you work off hours.
Peter, I'm just going to assume that you mean from Huntington Beach to Los Angeles. It honestly all depends on what part of Huntington Beach to what part of Los Angeles - what time of the day, and even what day. I know that I can make it from South Huntintgton Beach to the middle of downtown LA in about 45 minutes on Saturdays. If you need to be there by 9 am, you had better plan on leaving by 7:30. If you leave LA by 2:30 during the week, you can be back here around 3:30, but if you leave around 4, it could be 6 pm. And another factor to equate in - it also depends on the freeway you take and if you can take the commuter lanes.
L:A from where SAN FRAN? or orange county to La?
It is a long way and unless you plan to work closer to LA, it would be a hard communte.
Even 5 minutes late in morning can cost you. Always leave before 6am and before 5pm or after 7pm the drive will not be bad then. I use to get breakfast before work and stop at a coffee shop if I missed any of these times. It's worth the wait! Good Luck LA is like 20 minutes from La Palma which is orange co. and
I refuse to go to LA.
If you do not have to go during rush hour it's not bad. If it's during rush hour you may want to bring coffee and a snack 2+ hrs. I just did it yesterday at around 2pm and it only took about 50 minutes from Hollywood Blvd, to Laguna Hills driving with the flow of traffic. Early morning is similar (6am) you could always drive down early and hit the gym...Good luck...
Traffic patterns change slightly in time. Although I am now a Realtor on the East Coast, I lived in Newport Beach and communted to the LAX area regularly, though not daily. I once moved to Belmont Shores to shorten my commute, and found I lived neither near my work, nor my personal life. I moved back to Orange County and planned my schedule to work around traffic patterns. That flexibility is key. Leaving early enough or late enough provides no guarantees, but makes it better most of the time.

Had I not had so many personal ties to Orange County, I would have like Belmont Shores. Actually, I probably would have just opted to park somewhere in Redondo, Hermosa or Manhattan Beach areas. If you are considering mulitple coastal towns, put those on your list as well. Good luck
Deborah Madey, Real Estate Pro in Red Bank, NJ
If you leave before 0600 you can get to the LA city center in an hour or less on most days. If it is raining you can add 30 + minutes to that time. Listen to 1070 AM (or any other station) for timely traffic reports so that you can adjust your route as you go.
As they say in life ... Timing is everything ... If you are commuting 9-5 OUCH!
It depends where you're starting from in LA. I'd suggest not doubling the google directions estimate, but tripling it, especially if you're going to drive during normal human hours (i.e. between 9am and 8pm).
It can be a fun drive or a drag. And driving a stick will get old fast. 5:45 to 6 am is a good time to leave. But if there is ever a car wreck, car chase, or someone getting pulled over you will run into a longer drive. Enjoy.
Depends on the time you leave in the am. 600 - your okay 615-620 - you might be in a bit of hurt.

http://www.luxurylivingsocal.com Brian
i don't know what freeways they're driving on, but if you have a regular 9 to 5 job, figure 2 1/2 hrs to la and 2 1/2 hrs back
A lot depends on where in LA you are going. The commute to downtown is about an hour in the morning If you are going to the westside or the valley it can take a bit longer. The main trick is to get on the freeway before you hit the interchange at Seal Beach
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 12, 2007
Kaye Thomas, Real Estate Pro in 90266
A average rule of thumb is: take the distance from start to finish and multiply by two. That is about the drive time. One fender bender and opps! throw out that rule of thumb.