Jim, Home Buyer in Montara, CA

How is the commute from Montara to the South Bay (Sunnyvale) via hwy 1 south and 92 and 280?

Asked by Jim, Montara, CA Mon May 25, 2009

We know 92 can be a parking lot but what time does one have to leave to beat the traffic during the work week? What about going north on hwy 1 to Sharp Park road and 280 which is longer in terms of distance but is it shorter in terms of time?

Answers

2
I live in Montara and used to work in Palo Alto. The best for traffic reasons even during heavy commute is 1 south to 92 then 280 south. 280 is almost always jam free opposed to 101. The Sand Hill exit on 280 worked great for me. 50 mins was pretty much the average commute time each way. No too bad. Very rarely will traffic be at a stand still on 92 during winter months but it does happen! Count on 1 or 2 work days a year to take more than 1:15 to get to work. A collison or down tree is usually to blame. I tried going down 1 south to 84, but it takes much longer than youd think. Average that trip about 1:30 mins. Beware of the high school traffic on 1 south from about 7:15-8:15 am, it will add 20 mins to your commute if you get stuck in it, no school buses. North up 1 to Pacifica then Sharp Park road to 280 is a nice back up for highway 92 jams, but it adds 10-15 mins. Hope this helps!
We know its a long commute either way but thats not my questions. I just wanted to compare hwy 1 north and hwy 1 south via 92