Sm871, Other/Just Looking in Los Altos, CA

How is the commute from Los Altos near I-280 to SF, east edge of Market ? I am thinking to take a job in the city, but do not want to leave Los Altos.

Asked by Sm871, Los Altos, CA Fri Dec 3, 2010

Answers

3
David Blockhus’ answer
Sm871,

I would go 280 to 380 to 101 and then take the cut over (280) to 6th or 3rd (AT&T park) and work my way into the city. You also could take 101 all the way in, but traffic gets pretty heavy once you pass the 280 cut over. You also can take Cal train to 3rd (south of market) but will have to take a bus/taxi to your work.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 6, 2010
Plan on 90 minutes. I plan on 60 minutes door-to-door to make a 10am meeting. Add some time for the commute traffic.

My friend highly recommends the train. She lives in Palo Alto and gets on at the University station. Takes the express. She loves being able to do work, rest and read on her own while she commutes. She swears by it. Sounds like a great use of time to me.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 17, 2013
It's not that bad depending on when you leave. The best way to see the traffic patterns is to use Google Maps and use a traffic overlay. Here's a link:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

It'll give you options to go 101, 280, or 101 and 280.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 3, 2010