Lucy, Home Buyer in Moving to SF Bay Area

How is the commute from Half Moon Bay to SF?

Asked by Lucy, Moving to SF Bay Area Fri Aug 10, 2007

In particular, UCSF at Mission Bay.

Answers

10
I live on the Coastside and commuted to SF's Financial District. I found it easiest to go north on Highway 1 (over Devil's Slide) to Daly City Bart and the train dropped me off within a block of my office. I did that commute only for a couple of years, so I didn't experience that commute during a slide closure. However, as an 18 year resident of the Half Moon Bay area, the slide has closed only twice. Yes, it's a pain when it does, but the short term inconvenience is minimal compared to the overall experience of coming home to an extraordinarily beautiful part of San Mateo County. When I drive to the City, it takes me 20-30 minutes depending on where I'm going. My husband did the Coastside to Silicon Valley commute for 17 years so we were heading in opposite directions. We wanted a great community to raise our kids that was a reasonable commute for both of us. If you are considering living in Half Moon Bay proper instead of one of the more northern communities (El Granada, Moss Beach or Montara) then Hwy 92 to 280 is your best bet. Highway 92 is currently being widened and that should help relieve some commute congestion. A link is provided here with project information.
It can be tough. Highway 1 and most of 92 are one lane in each direction. If there's an accident or slow moving truck it will easily add 20+ minutes to your commute.

If Devil's Slide is closed, it's a two hour commute to the City. The tunnel is under construction. I've included a link to the details.

Having said that, those who live on the coast love it and believe it's worth the occasional delay.
No matter which route you take it's a beautiful drive either along the ocean or over the hills. If you were to live in one of the coastal communities north of Half Moon Bay, such as Moss Beach or Montara, then you would certainly drive along the coast, but if you were in HMB or south then you might opt for going over 92. If you leave by 7 in the morning then your drive will be easy and you'll love it. Returning traffic on 92 starting at about 5 can be slow. Here's how I look at it: there's traffic misery all around the Bay area but when you live on the coast it's worth it because you'll have the misery everywhere but you wind up in an amazingly beautiful area. You should also know that there have been two times in the past 15 years when Highway 1 was closed at Devil Slide just north of Montara and if that hapens then it's high misery, not just ordinary misery. However, the last time this happened--in 2006--the community worked together to change driving times, directions and habits and the whole ordeal was not so bad. There is a tunnel being built to avoid the slide area and it should be ready in about 4 years. When that happens the current road is slated to be a bike/hike trail and you will love living near that. As far as time is concerned you'll have to plan for about an hour to get to UC even though you can probably make it in about 40 minutes when there's very little traffic. This may be more than you wanted to know, but it boils down to the fact that commuting is tough everywhere but when you come home to the coast it's worth it.
FROM HALF MOON BAY , YOU CAN USE HW92 , THEN 280 , ALL THE WAY TO UCSF AT MISSION BAY, OR USE HW 1M THEN TO HW 280 TO UCSF. AS ALTERNATIVES, CAN USE CALTRAIN OR BART, PERHAPS AT MILLBRAE AVE, MILLBRAE, ( TROUSDALE EXIT FROM HW280 ( VIA HW92), OR MILLBRAE AVE EXIT FROM HW101 ( VIA HW92))

IF YOU LIKE OCEAN VIEW, PERHAPS, PACIFICA, AS AN ALTERNATIVE., very easy to go to hw 280 or via Bart/caltrain in south san francisco, via Hickey blvd to el camino real.
http://WWW.REIL.COM , MLS# 804026, VIRTUAL TOUR: http://www.edigitaltour.com/0508/22121/
THANKS
THIAT LIANG (650-888-5829)
(Any referral is greatly appreciated.)
RECIPIENT OF TOP PRODUCER PRUDENTIAL DIAMOND CLUB AND PRESIDENT'S CIRCLE AWARDS
PRUDENTIAL CALIFORNIA REALTY
(SALE AND RENTAL AGENT)
formerly as loan agent also.
help refer loan also as loan assistant/ processor
650-888-5829 ( cell and text )
HW380@AOL.COM
650-513-9351 (LOCAL PAGER)
http://www.thiatonline.com
DRE LICENSE# 01036903
*Info deemed reliable but not guaranteed*

Any referral is greatly appreciated
PROFESSIONAL EXCELLENT SERVICE AT NEGOTIABLE COMMISSION!!!
SERVING THE ENTIRE SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREAS AND BEYOND!
EQUAL HOUSING/LENDING OPPORTUNITY
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu May 15, 2008
Lucy,

One great resource is the website below...
Web Reference: http://www.511.org
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 9, 2007
From my experience driving over to Half Moon Bay is a beautiful drive undoubtedly but it can be quite a long drive along the one lane passageways. Assuming there is no blockages, accidents, or debris the commute along that route should be rather smooth. It is when you get to the Peninsula, dealing with the traffic there gets a bit more hectic. I recommend taking the 280 during rush hour, it's usually much less congested than the 101, which is almost always congested during rush hour times.

But don't let the possibility of traffic hour deter you from buying out in Half Moon Bay--it's an absolutely beautiful place to live. The commute can be considered more than worth the relaxed, serene, and natural atmosphere you can enjoy when you get home. I hope you find your home!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 12, 2007
You have several choices here. By car you can either take highway 1 or 90 for 101 ir 280 into the city. Thatg would be the most direct route. Public transportation would be a bit more difficult.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 10, 2007
Pam Winterba…, Real Estate Pro in San Ramon, CA
It's worth it!!! Especially on the sunny days. Once the tunnel is opened I will miss the dramatic views from the highway along that section.

Glen
Hi Lucy-

Many of my clients work at the BioTech centers in that area. Typically they have been buying homes in all of the communities Montara, Moss Beach, El Granada and Half Moon Bay. From any of these small vacation like communities the drive can be achieved quite reasonably. The HWY 1 option provides for a smaller highway with fewer opportunities for congestion overall. If you take 92 to 280 or 101 both 280 and 101 are larger multi lane hwys and may be more prone to accidents and general slowdowns.

Living life here on vacation is typically worth the commute for any clients I have placed here, especially when one considers the reasonable cost of living and the proximity and view of the ocean everyday.
Hi Lucy,

Robert and Marian are right on. All 3 of us live or work on the coast. I first came here in 1965. Having lived in many parts (Orinda, Berkeley, Danville, Oakland, Fairfield, Walnut Creek, San Mateo, San Jose, Pittsburg, San Leandro, etc.) of the Bay Area, I’ve experienced the various commutes to and from SF. The commute to SF and back to the Half Moon Bay area is by far the easiest, least stressful, most pleasantly enjoyable of any of them.
For your specific interest, there is a shuttle van from the Half Moon Bay area to the UCSF medical center; so one might be or become available to your new biotech center at UCSF-Mission Bay.
Half Moon Bay has all the conveniences of being part of the SF Bay area, yet, you want to relax and get away from it all, it feels like a paradise that is “world away” from the hectic pace of city life.
We would love to share our beautiful coastside with you, so please contact us if we may be of further service to you.

Jim Hargis
Coldwell Banker-Half Moon Bay
Web Reference: http://www.jimhargis.com