K, Home Buyer in New York, NY

Help! I will need to commute from NYC 4 days a week - what is the best place to live in the hudson valley?

Asked by K, New York, NY Sat Nov 17, 2007

beacon/poughkeepsie/kingston? Are there any express trains? What is the most convenient place to live? is driving and getting a monthly rate in a parking garage a viable option, or is that just a traffic nightmare?

Answers

3
There are express trains to Manhattan from both Poughkeepsie and Beacon as well as many other towns. You can find a map and list on the site shown below, as well as schedules and fares. Driving and parking in Manhattan is an expensive nightmare as anyone who has spent the morning stuck on the West Side Drive or the FDR thinking about their impending unemployment can tell you. That said, the best place to live will depend on your other needs as well. If convenience is the most important factor then my suggestion is to look at how much you have to spend, what you would like to get for that money and choose a location as close to Manhattan as possible. As a rule prices go up the closer you get. So if you are looking for a three bedroom, 2 bath home on a half an acre, you might find one in Poughkeepsie for around $300K, whereas the same home in Ardsley would cost $650K. My suggestion is to get a paper and pencil and write down the qalities that you MUST have in a home and location, those that would be nice to have and those that you could take or leave. For example you might want to live in a neighborhood, or to have privacy and seclusion. You might want to be close to major shopping or prefer a small-town atmosphere. Do you have a hobby that you'd like to continue to pursue in your new venue? Once you've narrowed down your needs it will be easier to decide the right location to call home. You might also be willing to drive a few extra minutes from the west bank of the Hudson River to get the train in Poughkeepsie, Beacon, or Garrison. My personal favorite places, if it is of any help, are Cold Spring, Rhinebeck and New Paltz. Good Luck and let me know if I can be of any further help.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 24, 2007
others in a similar boat might really want to try a referral service such as bestplace2move.com. I think its free, and it seems to iron out some of these questions.
kingston has very frequent adrondack trailways express service to NYC be careful on tuesday and wednesday though.