Dawn, Home Buyer in Tampa, FL

Considering a move to Atlanta, with my husband commuting to Buckhead, near Lenox Square Mall. We need

Asked by Dawn, Tampa, FL Sun Mar 1, 2009

excellent publc schools for our children (ages 8 and 12). We'd like to try N. Fulton but are scared about the commute on 400. Any other areas we should consider? We'd like a nice community where we wouldn't feel like outsiders. Thanks so much.

Answers

15
Hi Dawn. I work and live in East Cobb County and believe without a doubt that East Cobb is where you can find the best combination of location, community amenities, truly excellent schools, low taxes, and variety of housing price. Your price range, housing preferences, an idea of what a maximum commute time should be will dictate your location to some degree. I think North Fulton or East Cobb would be good places for you to begin your search. Please feel free to contact me to discuss.
Hi Dawn -

I'm all over the place appraising but focus my sales activity on the north side. Your dollar will go farthest in East Cobb/Roswell/Alpharetta - these happen to contain many of the best school districts as well (an opinion backed by personal experience and data). There are many alternate routes other than 400 but you will have traffic depending on commute time. The trade off is more house, better things for the kids to do, generally safer environment and more residents with "two kids and a dog".

I can also tell you that certain micro markets within these larger areas are holding their own pretty well, even in this blood bath. This is my stopping ground and churning data is second nature, I tend to be pretty candid and let the specific data speak for itself. If we can be of assistance please feel free to let us know -

Hank Miller, SRA, ABR
Associate Broker & Certified Appraiser
Prudential GA Realty
678-428-8276
Hi Dawn,
Give me a call to discuss your needs. I can be reached by email or phone. See contact info below

Joan Leyton, CLHMS, ARS, AIS
Senior Marketing Consultant
Harry Norman, Realtors
4848 Ashford Dunwoody Road, Ste 100
Atlanta, GA 30338
770-789-8822 cell
770-396-6695 fax
404-497-5736 efax

Joan.leyton@harrynorman.com

http://www.joanleyton.harrynorman.com

The best move you’ll ever make.™
Dawn,

As an alternative you may want to consider other areas convenient to Lenox with Marta Access if needed with excellent schools, both public and private. I recommend taking a look at Collier Heights, Peachtree Battle, West Paces/corridor, Brookhaven – (Peachtree Dunwoody) corridor as well. Within these areas you will find many homes from classic Traditionals to finely crafted New Construction.

Additionally, The Ultimate Atlanta School Guide | ajc.com - has always been great resource for me and my relocation clients. Be sure to reference Fulton/Dekalb schools based on your designated search areas for your new home. If you require additional information or assistance in regards to your needs, prices and other variables - feel free to contact us direct at 678-851-4463.

You can also register at our website for your free AJC school guide (book) and search properties in these areas and more.

Good luck and I hope we can be of service to you.

Roger Gibson
Roger@RogerForRealty.com
678-851-4463
Web Reference: http://RogerForRealty.Com
All of the answers have been good suggestions . It really depends on your price range. I work a lot in East Cobb, Roswell, and Alpharetta where generally the schools are good and homes affordable.They are also great communities for families. You will pay higher taxes in town and the homes are much older and smaller in the medium price range of $300-$400K. Visit out website at http://www.duffyrealtyofatlanta.com to view all listings as well as the details of our BUYER CASH BONUS program where we pay YOU to work with us when purchasing a home.
Dawn,

There are lots of great answers here, from some outstanding "who's who" agents. The neighborhood choices are far and wide, but I must ask, since Atlanta is the "City Too Busy to Hate" - when, if ever have you felt like an outsider? What happened to make you feel like an an outsider?

5 years ago, I went public as the "Intown Insider" so, if you seek help in the Intown submarkets, I'll make it my job to accelerate your path to "insider" status.

Overall, your choices for "excellent" public schools are limited Intown. I believe that you should interview a few good agents and begin narrowing your criteria for school excellence, filtered only by your price range.

Closer to Buckhead, I believe that you can't go wrong with a choice of the neighborhoods served by either Dunwoody High School or Lakeside High School. In Georgia, they are about as excellent as government schools can get.

Go Northward to Alpharetta and your husband will see his children a lot less, and his windshield a lot more.
Web Reference: http://intowninsider.com/
Dear Dawn,
Traffic in the Atlanta area is some of the worst in the country, so it is very wise to consider your commute in choosing your new location. A lot of the bad reputation for the commute on the GA400 is a holdover from before it was widened. Although it still backs up, it moves much better than it used to. The commute from as far north as exit 11 in Alpharetta to Buckhead takes any where from 50 min. to a little over an hour in rush hour, unless there is an accident. There are a lot of beautiful homes closer to exits 10-7 which will really shorten that commute. A good rule of thumb is to double the amount of time in an estimate on mapquest for what it will take in rush hour.

You really can't beat the schools in north Fulton(Roswell, Alpharetta, Milton and Johns Creek) for the quality of the education and exposure to AP classes, sports and music programs. Check on the school web sites for each system and compare them.

Another great resource is the Georgia Public Education Report Card. The web site is:

http://gaosa.org/

They produce a report card by school that provides a lot of detailed information.

A private think tank called the Georgia Public Policy Foundation produces their own report card, and they rank schools based on the percentage of students passing the reading and math sections of the state tests (called CRCT's) from the previous year. They don't update as frequently, however, and their data is from the 2006-2007 school year. Their web site is:

http://www.gppf.org

Julie and I have worked with clients relocating to the Atlanta area for the past 10 years, and are very familiar with the schools, sports and music programs that families with children are looking for in the area. Feel free to give us a call or visit our web site. We'd love to help!

Andrea Hanley
email: julieandandrea@prudentialgeorgia.com
Dunwoody, Vinings, Smyrna are good choices that are just outside our Perimeter Highway, 285. But don't discount some areas within the Perimeter Highway. E. Rivers, Sarah Smith, Morningside are a couple of very good Elementary Schools in the City Limits of Atlanta... Your price range will dictate some of your flexibility. Many of us are well versed in multiple areas and can assist you. Our websites, either askew.com or 14west.com allow you to search the FMLS system and have links to school-related websites and other info-filled sites that will help answer many of your questions.

If I or our companies can be of assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Take care and welcome to the Capital or the South - Atlanta!

Scott Askew
President CRB CRS
Askew Realty Co. & Fourteen West, REALTORS
askew.com 14west.com
770-434-8580 404-874-6357
There are some excellent schools in the Buckhead area. It really depends on each individual school and what your specific needs are. There are also excellent schools in Cobb County. If your husband is OK with a 30 - 40 min, commute, then the Cobb County Schools would be a good option. Depending on what your budget is, there are comminities in BH East Cobb and Vinings that you would feel most welcome. You may want to check out http://www.greatschools.net/city/Atlanta/GA for further details! Jim
Hi Dawn,

As a fairly recent South (east) Florida transplant myself, I can certainly understand your needs! We move a little over a year ago, and commute was the biggest concern for us. My husband is a district sales manager with a pharmacutical company and much of his territory is south and west of Atlanta. He, as well didn't want to be too far north on 400 either, but when we drove into Roswell for the first time, we knew we were home! His commutes really haven't been too bad, and Marta travels to and from Buckhead for an alternative.

The areas in and around Buckhead are lovely as well, like Brookhaven and Druid Hills. Roswell / Alpharetta are both family friendly and welcoming areas with fantastic neighborhoods. We were immediately welcomed into our neighborhood and made several great friends in the area from the start. Please do let me know if I can help with your transition from South Florida, and welcome to the Altanta neighborhood!

Jolie Abreu
Keller Williams Realty Consultants
(678) 894-4409
jolie@helpinghomes.net
Web Reference: http://www.helpinghomes.net
Dawn, have you considered Dunwoody. Dunwoody is very near the Lenox Mall area and features some of the best schools in the state. The homes are larger and you get more of a home town quality with Dunwoody. Feel free to visit the website, http://www.dunwoodyusahomes.com for more information. If I can be of assistance, please call. I have lived in Dunwoody for years and its great for my husband and children.
There are many communties that I would recommend. Depending upon your price range, Druid HIlls is a wonderful intown neighborhood which has the award winning Fernbank and Druid Hills public schools as well as being close to Emory University and a short commute to the Lenox Mall area without getting on the interstate. Dunwoody is another area of Atlanta that is north but is a close commute to Lenox and also has good public schools.
You could try some of the subdivisions of Cobb county or the Vinings area. Your husband would have to get on the interstate but he would not have to get onto 400. The commute on 400 can be quite a nightmare some days!
Atlanta is a very large metropolitan area with many wonderful communities and neighbohoods to choose from. Location, price range and schools will probably be your deciding factors.
Here's a link to some school information:
http://schools.ajchomefinder.com/
Hey Dawn,

We can definitely help you there.
Check out http://www.muffleyhomes.com and you'll be impressed.
There are a few hundred of our own listings on there but you can check out just about any house for sale in metro Atlanta.
In order to search in earnest for you, I'll need to know your wants, needs, likes, dislikes and dreams in a home.
One of your first steps right now is to talk to a lender.
You might as well know where you stand and what kind of monthly payment you will be comfortable with.
I think you'll be pleased by what you can buy in Atlanta versus Tampa (I'm assuming that's where you are).

My office is in Buckhead and I would be happy to show you around.
You've got some really big decisions to make and none of them can be taken lightly.

Take Care,
I hope to hear from you soon,

Tony Teixeira
770-851-5050
tonysellsatlanta@gmail.com
tony@muffleyhomes.com
Web Reference: http://www.muffleyhomes.com
Dawn,

Welcome to Atlanta!

Depending on your price point, you may want to check out some of the intown neighborhoods such as Morningside, VA Highland, Druid Hills and Buckhead which all have good schools. I can help you pin point the exact school districts. If you are looking for more of a suburban feel, you want to explore Dunwoody and possibly Smyrna which both are convenient to Buckhead.

Please let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Scott Eaves
(404) 518-3820
Hey Dawn. I specialize in Buckhead, Midtown, Sandy Springs, and Roswell. I'd be more than happy to assist you. I have a 6 year-old - so I know how important schools are. I can also tell you that the commute down 400 may or may not be worth it. We'll just have to evaluate your price range and your search criteria to see what we can get inside the Perimeter. Please visit my website so I can begin your search.

Talk to you soon.

Julie Brittain
404-966-3328

http://www.TeamBrittain.com