ekkw, Real Estate Pro in Frederick, MD

Commuting to DC?

Asked by ekkw, Frederick, MD Tue Jan 15, 2013

Is commuting from Frederick to DC (South east/Nats stadium) a realistic possibility? If driving, what are the best routes? What about train service? Commuter buses?

Answers

8
Joanne Gerrits Spivey’s answer
You can catch the train from Frederick, Point of Rocks or Brunswick. I believe it goes to Union Station. The best way to drive would be to go to the metro in Shady Grove in Gaithersburg. Driving all the way in would be difficult unless you work off-hours....say 10-6 or 7. Traffic is really heavy til about 9 am from Frederick til about 7 pm coming North. Hope this helps!

Joanne Spivey, ReMax Results, joannespivey@mris.com
Long commute is huge wast of time and energy. Think about 3 hr in traffic and its long lasting impact on your daily routine and overall well being. If you still have to work and commute for the next 10 years, you may have to think about another job closer to home, or move the house to get into a "against flow" scenario, even longer distance is worth of change. However, the price of house usually is higher, say $10K higher each mile you move closer to DC. However, the house appreciate better in general. Or switch to a smaller house on budget. Public transportation lacks behind. Home in Villages of Urbana and Shady Grove metro are not bad options. Just my two cents.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 23, 2013
Lots of buyers commute from the Frederick area into DC. It can be a longer commute depending on what times you are traveling however, there are the MARC train station as well as commuter busses that are available to you so you can let someone else do the driving and relax on the way to work. I have many clients who do it so that they can afford more house for their families.

You can check out routes for the train station at the link below:

http://mta.maryland.gov/marc-train

I hope this helps. If I can be of any further assistance please let me know.

I can always be reached at 240-674-6357.

Leah Cox
A lot of people in the area commute from Frederick to DC. There is a bus and train service in the Frederick area for those commuting into the DC area. You can also use my website to check drive times based on when you would head to work and the traffic at that time: http://www.rkrop.com
Short and simple way

Step 1: Download a map of the D.C Metro and verify the dates/times to make sure it works with your schedule

Step 2: Drive to the Shady Grove train station (Red Line) Take it to Union Station and then take the (Light Blue Line) all the way. The last stop is the Navy Yard and you can walk to the Stadium from there. It is only a few blocks.

Other Option: Most of us have a navigation tool on our smart phone. You can utilize it for public transportation by clicking on the train icon. I use it all the time when traveling to NYC; works great.
Your best bet for the commute to the stadium is via the Metrorail. which leaves from Shady Grove which is about a half hour ride (without rush hour) from Frederick.

This link shows the cost and time elapsed to get to the stadium from the Shady Grove station.

http://www.wmata.com/rider_tools/tripplanner/tripplanner.cfm

It takes about an hour total without rush hour demand. It you are traveling during off hours that may be less. Only you can determine if you believe it to be a realistic commute.

There may be other locations closer to the Metro that you would want to consider as well.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Chris Highland
Frederick is a bedroom community to many who work in DC. If commuting by car the southern end of the county near Urbana along the I-270 corridor would be a popular choice of many who commute to DC. The MARC train runs from Frederick City, Pt. of Rck and Brunswick on the SW side of the county. There are also commuter buses that run from Urbana down to Shady Grove where you can pick up the Metro subway system. You can find more information on our web site http://www.MacHomes.com or feel free to call me to discuss the area in more detail 301-748-3696
There are many families who live in the Frederick area and commute to DC but it is dependent on what you feel is an acceptable time to spend commuting.

The MARC train runs from Downtown Frederick but is not all that frequent. You can check out the routes and schedules on the following website.

http://mta.maryland.gov/marc-train

It would also depend on where you were thinking of living. Anything close to 270 would help to reduce commuter time should you be thinking of driving.

Feel free to give me a call if you would like to discuss this and I would be happy to help in any way that I can. 301 865-9675.